starting strength gym

Thread: microload vs intermediate

Default microload vs intermediate

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    what's the advantage of microloading the press and bench when 5lbs jumps are no more possible?
    if you're adding 5lbs weekly with TM or starr 5x5 , it adds up to 20 lbs a month.
    if you add 2.5lbs from workout to workout and you're pressing and benching 6x a month that's a 15lbs monthly increase.
    So you're getting more with the intermediate program , why should we microload anyway instead of moving onto a TM/BS5x5 template when 5lbs are just too much ?

Good luck adding five pounds too your press every week for long.

There are a bunch of threads on this that cover the topic extensively. Give the search function a shot and see.

As they said, good luck adding 5# per week to your bench...

If you're alternating, then it turns into 10#/month for each of the bench and press on the TM if you're trying to add 5# on each intensity day. This is more feasible, but even that can be tough after a while - read Practical Programming for more details on upper body programming on the TM.

I haven't been lifting too long, but I have gotten some good use out of my 1.25lb plates. Remember, you can use them the other way as well. I currently am adding around 5lbs per week. If my lifts start to get a little too easy, I add 7.5lbs the next week. If you do this even 1 time per month, you could add an extra 30lbs to your lift in a year.

Of course the extra loading won't hold out forever, then you have the microplates to add just 2.5lbs per week. Again, if you can do just that, it really adds up over a long period of time.

Exter a few things to think about besides looking at some of the other threads on this topic:

1. If you add 5 lbs per workout every other week on TM, you will add 130 lbs. in a year. As noted, that pace is probably not sustainable on bench and press.

2. If you drop to 2.5 per workout every other week on TM, you will add 65 lbs. in a year, a much more sustainable pace.

3. If you continue to alternate bench and press each workout adding 1.25 pounds to your worksets each session, your press and bench have the potential to go up 97.5 pounds in a year.

Final thought - there really isn't a right answer - it depends on the individual's recovery ability, diet, sleep, response to training stimulus, etc.

starting strength coach development program
    Experience has shown a lot of people that microloading carries progression farther and faster then making the jump to intermediate will. Basically you might be an intermediate when trying to add 5 pounds a workout but you are still a novice if you only add 2 pounds a workout.