starting strength gym

Thread: My dads HB Squat! Please critique.

Default My dads HB Squat! Please critique.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone.

My dad has just been doing squats for a couple of workouts yet, so he is not very experienced as of now. He is also way too inflexible to be able to do a low bar squat, but I figured high bar is better than front squats. Anyways, here is two videoes from todays workout:

Set 1:

Set 2:

I don't really know much about HB squats, so every opinion is greatly appreciated.

(I am sorry for the lightning, but I hope you are able to see what you need to)

High bar squats have the same anatomical markers that low bar squats have as described in the book, they just have a more verticle back angle and acute knee angle. Your dads squats looked fine to me. His knees might need more shoving out but its not obvious from these angles.

It seems like he may be getting a little forward at the bottom of the hole. 'Chest up' cue could be helpful.

Also, that's some decent weight (265?) for just 'a couple' of workouts. Old man must be strong.

The flexibility in question is shoulder flexibility, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Regin Smidur View Post
    High bar squats have the same anatomical markers that low bar squats have as described in the book, they just have a more verticle back angle and acute knee angle. Your dads squats looked fine to me. His knees might need more shoving out but its not obvious from these angles.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodninja666 View Post
    It seems like he may be getting a little forward at the bottom of the hole. 'Chest up' cue could be helpful.

Also, that's some decent weight (265?) for just 'a couple' of workouts. Old man must be strong.
    I'll definitely tell him, thanks!

And that is actually a standard bar (I know, I know, I need an olympic one), so thats 165 not 265

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    The flexibility in question is shoulder flexibility, right?
    Yes. He can't even put the bar on the rear deltoids with completely bent wrists, let alone with straight wrists. Any helpful stretches you would recommend?
    Last edited by Kje_simen; 04-15-2011 at 04:11 PM.

How about with a really wide grip?

starting strength coach development program
    Have him do shoulder dislocations.