starting strength gym

Thread: Moving from starting strength to Onus Wunsler

Default Moving from starting strength to Onus Wunsler

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quick background. Been doing starting strength for the last 2 1/2 months. I have not missed any workouts so far, been eating well and would get around 7-8 hours broken sleep per night (Have a 5 month old baby boy and he wakes me up 2-3 times per night but only for 5-10min then i get back to sleep). My stats are 27, 5'11'' 84kg. I have put on around 7kg since starting the program.
    Currently i Just finished deadlifting 135kg on the Starting Strength program but failed on 3. I had completed 132.5kg on the monday and got my 1x5. The reason i only jumped 2.5kg instead of the 5kg, was the bar speed was really starting to slow in my last couple of workouts and i only hit 120 for 4, hit 122.5 for 5 and have keeped the 2.5kg increse, my back also still feels quite tight if i have deadlifted on the monday and have to again on the friday.
    Since deads is the last thing i should be stalling on (i have reset Press and Bench but still going up on squats, cleans & deads) i want to keep going up and i think i need a bigger rest between deads. So my question is;
    Would it be benfical to move to Onus Wunsler workout with deads every 5th workout since i feel i can still benfit from daily workout progression on everything before moving off a beginner routine or should i just suck it up and keep going with SS?

You can try deadlifting once a week.

I wouldn't draw any quick conclusions. I failed on the deadlift before the squat as well.

From previous experience with my 1st time on SS (currently on my 2nd time), what I can tell you is that what seems to be an issue with recovery or of progression is usually one of diet. 4 days should be plenty of time to recover. The fact that you've only put on about 14 lbs in about 11 or 12 weeks seems to confirm that you're not eating enough for maximal progression (since at least 4 or 5 of that is water weight). Your body can't repair itself if you don't give it the building blocks. Try bumping up your diet so that you're gaining 2 or 3 lbs a week and watch your problems vanish. The whole "500 calories over maintenance" thing is pretty much bunk.

OK cheers peacerenity, i will up my food intake and keep going on the SS