starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5-3-1 Programming Thoughts

Default 5-3-1 Programming Thoughts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just started back on a 5-3-1 program. I kept getting stuck on the Onus Wunsler and decided the Texas Method was a bit too much for my 47 year old body. Plus I managed pinch a nerve in my shoulder which is finally clearing up.

I have decided to do the big but boring version of 5-3-1. I was wondering if anyone has every tried doing as many reps as possible as part of the assistance program? (The suggestion is 5 x 10 at 40 to 50%) I'm thinking I might try to do three sets of 15/16 (or maybe 1 set of 50)

The other question deals with cardio. The suggestion is to run up hills, but I would much rather rollerblade around the park as fast as possible. (I have a heart monitor so I can precisely time myself.) I have a concern about my knees handling the running up the hills.

I'm thinking of re-arranging the lifts in the following manner:

Monday: Deadlift
    Tuesday: Standing Press
    Wednesday: Rollerblade
    Thursday: Bench
    Friday: Squat
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rollerblade

The only day I would have back to back leg emphasis would be Sunday/Monday. Maybe I should consider a Friday Squat / Saturday Rollerblade?

Thanks for any suggestions.

As far as the BBB method, stick to what is prescribed by Jim Wendler. In most of his posts and articles doesn't recommend changing anything. As far as the set up, I think you should be fine...you know your body more than we do.

I don't think the order of lifts matters, outside of alternating lower body/upper body lifts on consecutive days.

I also don't think what you choose as your conditioning workout matters as long as it's true conditioning and not just noodling on a treadmill for 30 minutes.

I do think you'll probably muck up the programming by going for more than 10 reps on the BBB 50%1RM lifts. They aren't the focus of the program, they're accessory shit. Don't burn too much energy on accessory shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Draft View Post

I do think you'll probably muck up the programming by going for more than 10 reps on the BBB 50%1RM lifts. They aren't the focus of the program, they're accessory shit. Don't burn too much energy on accessory shit.
    Looks good, but I totally agree with this post ^

Put ALL your focus on the core lifts. Dont overthink accessory work. This is the #1 thing IMO that people mess up on 5/3/1

The only other thing that I might add, besides not over thinking the assistance exercises, is that at 47 years old you might want to be open to a little more rest than you have programmed in. Perhaps a 2 or 3 day a week program as per the 5/3/1 book would be good if you start having recovery issues on 5/3/1.

Make sure you calculate your percentages like the book says. You can even undershoot your true maxes when calculating your working weight that you calculate everything else on and you shouldn't stall out until you have completed many cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by yorick View Post
    Make sure you calculate your percentages like the book says. You can even undershoot your true maxes when calculating your working weight that you calculate everything else on and you shouldn't stall out until you have completed many cycles.
    There's an online calculator for this here that you may find handy.

I did 5/3/1 for quite some time and liked it a lot. I wouldn't deviate from Wendler's written plan one bit. Everyone I know who didn't like 5/3/1 managed to screw it up by changing things here and there. It's outstanding as written so don't bother.

Thanks for the input.

I followed the instructions in the 5-3-1 ebook - which I highly recommend to anyone doing the program. I was just overthinking on assistance.

I just completed my first 3 weeks of 5-3-1 just doing the core exercises to make sure my shoulder is recovering. My thought was do the Big But Boring assistance stuff for the next cycle. (The Triumvirate and the Periodization Bible assistance seemed complex enough for me to screw it up.) I figure I can cut out the Wednesday cardio work if it seems like too much - although it is nice to see all cute jogging gals.

Does anyone have a substitute for Leg Curl since I do not have a machine in my basement? (For assistance on the Squat day)

Quote Originally Posted by stl rick View Post
    Does anyone have a substitute for Leg Curl since I do not have a machine in my basement? (For assistance on the Squat day)
    Any good hamstring exercise would be good. Perhaps Romanian Deadlifts. Or (and this will draw comment I am sure) a swiss ball curl (do sets of 15, keep a true plank throughout the movement, and prepare to be surprised)...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Any good hamstring exercise would be good. Perhaps Romanian Deadlifts. Or (and this will draw comment I am sure) a swiss ball curl (do sets of 15, keep a true plank throughout the movement, and prepare to be surprised)...
    Both of the above are good options. In addition you could try back extensions, good mornings, or stiff legged deadlifts. If you go with a deadlift variation, be careful to not overdo the weight. Probably about 50% of your regular deadlift weight would be a good place to try.
    Last edited by Chargerforlife; 04-17-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast