starting strength gym

Thread: Questions considering certain training gear...

Default Questions considering certain training gear...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone, any help would be appreciated.
    A little bit about my training situation:
    Finished SS, currently losing some body fat before going into TM, my weights are(RM5):
    Squat:140KG
    Deadlift:170KG
    Bench:95KG
    OHP: 65KG
    PC: 72KG
    Two injuries, one shoulder injury(mild pain for months), and one on the left wrist which I am carrying for like 3 months now, I can get the job done but it's a vague pain and the wrist is getting stronger as time goes by.

I am wanting to buy:
    1. lifting straps(mainly for future need for the rack pulls/P shrugs)
    2. Wrist wraps(mainly for the heavy benching until my hand feels more stable under PR weights again)

I don't know which straps to buy, I know Rip's suggestion as seen on his video about the barbell shrug and I read Starr's idea of using car seat belts, but I don't have no where to get them:
    Are these ok as lifting straps?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/EVERLAST-LIFTING...item588d6a9d6b
    Or these?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Athletic-Cotton-...item20b603d271

And I have no idea on what size to buy for the wrist wraps, there are 12/24/36 inch wraps(what should I buy and how do I know which would fit best?), I was thinking about these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-QTY-GOLDS-GYM-...item43a6799bd3

Ofcourse I could also buy the Schiek red/black wraps but they cost twice as much so I won't if those are fine.

Any help/suggestion would be more then welcome.
    I don't live in the US hence I need to buy stuff which are shipped worldwide AND don't include 40 dollar deliveries...
    Last edited by David_G; 04-15-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Definitely not the first ones. As I understand it, you generally want to steer away from cloth. Don't know about the second ones.

I have used those Everlast straps for awhile now. I bought them 2-3 years ago, and they are just now starting to show wear. The good: they are soft cotton. The bad: they are soft cotton, and will someday fail.. But if that is all you have access to, they will do for awhile.

I can't advise you on the wrist wraps, having never felt the need to use them myself (in spite of having small wrists). Aren't they used for oly lifting, anyway?

Well I could buy some other type of straps if you guys can recommend some?

Considering the wraps, as I wrote, I need them because my wrist isn't that stable during a max heavy bench press due to an injury, you see PL benchers use some all the time, but I only want to incorporate them one my new PRs until I can regain my stability...

Quote Originally Posted by David_G View Post
    Well I could buy some other type of straps if you guys can recommend some?

Considering the wraps, as I wrote, I need them because my wrist isn't that stable during a max heavy bench press due to an injury, you see PL benchers use some all the time, but I only want to incorporate them one my new PRs until I can regain my stability...
    Just this old guy's opinion: If it were me, I would back-off of the really heavy stuff if the wrist can't handle it right now. The body is telling you there's a weak spot that needs some time and attention. Give it some. Heal and strengthen. The wraps might help support while you heal, but I wouldn't look to them as the answer. Hope that helps. Feel better.

Where are you based?

Bean1871- I can bench high weights now, I followed starr's protocol for 2 months and I am just now coming back to my high presses, my problem is with those last rep on the heavy PR sets, where I need some extra stability, I am not in a situation to let the thing heal because that would mean more weeks with no heavy pressing...(already gave the place it's time to heal, but as one who suffered from such injury would know, mild pain could last for months)

sheepforsale- i'm from Israel

Those first lifting straps would be fine for now. I have used similar style for years without a problem. As far as wrist wraps, I own a 12 inch pair, the length has nothing to do with sizing, but the amount of support you want. My 12 inch provide more than enough for me, I got them mainly for front squats. I could not imagine using 24 or 36 inch wrist wraps, overkill if you ask me.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JPC View Post
    Those first lifting straps would be fine for now. I have used similar style for years without a problem. As far as wrist wraps, I own a 12 inch pair, the length has nothing to do with sizing, but the amount of support you want. My 12 inch provide more than enough for me, I got them mainly for front squats. I could not imagine using 24 or 36 inch wrist wraps, overkill if you ask me.
    Ok nice, and do you think the ones I have linked in here are fine? I never had any sort of merhandise from golds gym so i'm not sure about the quality
    Thanks for the help!