starting strength gym

Thread: Technique check: squat, bench, deadlift

Default Technique check: squat, bench, deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey,

I'm only in the 2nd week of the program. Really enjoying the Practical Novice Program and barbell training overall.

Here are some videos. What can I adjust to lift better?

Squats

Deadlift

Benchpress

Thanks for your help!

Damnation
    Last edited by damnation; 04-16-2011 at 05:48 PM.

IMO DL, bench OK

squat:

o) chest up (more upper body tension)
    o) most squat are high -> go deeper

that would be the points i think need work ^^

Like Art said, the DL is looking pretty good.

Your bench form is pretty good, but I did notice a couple of things that will help down the road when it gets heavier. Try to keep your body tight. Your legs are moving around during the press. Try to keep everything really solid, like your feet are achored to the floor. Keep your glutes and legs tight too. When you press up, try to get a little leg drive into it. You may have to slow down the touch and go part of the lift a little to practice that. Another good way to practice it is during warmups. On your last warmup rep of each set, pause the bar on your chest for a second. Then push it up as fast as you can using a little leg drive to help. When you get good at it, you will be able to do use the drive even in touch and go's. But again, you may have to slow just that part of the lift down a little bit.

Art gave you some good squat pointers too. Your squats are just a little high and really aren't that bad. A couple of them are to depth though. I paused a few of the reps on the bottom, and the crease of the hip is below the top of the knee. By powerlifting standards those reps would be ok. Some guys like squatting real low, and you can do that if you want... but realize you don't have to.

For 2 weeks in you are doing really well. All of these critiques are really minor. You can get good depth on the squat already, which is a lot better than me only 2 weeks in. You just have to figure out where that is consistently, and it will just take a little time. Keep up the good work!!!

PS: I hate the hammer strength bench press! Above the hooks there are little nuts sticking out on the front of it. Since my arms are long, I always seem to catch the bar on those before I can lower the bar to the hook.