starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kana Sai Training Log

Default The Kana Sai Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Been training for 3-4 years on and off. No fixed program currently, just using a basic push/pull program 3x per week and making do with the limited equipment in my gym.

BW: 85kg

Goals
    SQ: 180kg
    DL: 200kg
    MP: 90kg

Reps %
    1 - 100
    2 - 94.6
    3 - 92.1
    4 - 89.6
    5 - 87.1
    6 - 84.8
    7 - 82.5
    8 - 80.2
    9 - 78.0
    10 - 75.9
    11 - 73.8
    12 - 71.8
    13 - 69.9
    14 - 68.0
    15 - 66.1
    *All poundages are in kilograms*

15-04-11
    Deadlifts -
    60 x 10,
    80 x 8,
    100 x 5,
    120 x 3,
    140 x 3,
    160 x 1,
    180 x 1, 2 sets
    160 x 3

Incline Press -
    60 x 10,
    80 x 5,
    90 x 3,
    100 x 3,
    100 x 2,

Pulldowns -
    80x10, 4 sets
    Last edited by lifteatsleep; 04-25-2011 at 03:45 AM.

17-04-11

Squats
    100 x 10
    110 x 5
    120 x 3
    130 x 3
    140 x 3
    100 x 20

Pendlay Rows
    60 x 5
    70 x 5
    80 x 5
    90 x 3

Pulldowns
    70 x 8, 4 sets

BTN Press
    50 x 12, 10, 10

Felt sluggish and lower back was feeling kinda sore. Didnt manage to put in more sets for the squats. Out of time, had to cut workout short.
    Last edited by lifteatsleep; 04-18-2011 at 03:34 AM.

20th April 2011

DL (Deadlift)
    60 x 10, 2 sets
    80 x 8,
    100 x 5,
    120 x 3,
    140 x 2,
    150 x 1,
    160 x 3,
    170 x 3, 2 sets

MP (Military Press)

40 x 8,
    60 x 3,
    70 x 3,
    75 x 1,
    80 x 2,

PR (Pendlay Rows)
    60 x 5,
    70 x 5,
    80 x 5, 2 sets
    90 x 5,
    95 x 3,

Note: Energy felt high during deadlifts, probably left a set or two in the tank. Hopefully a breakthrough in the coming weeks.

24th April

Squat
    60 x 10
    80 x 8
    100 x 5
    120 x 3
    130 x 3
    140 x 2
    150 x 2 (doesn't feel tight)
    150 x 1 (2 sets, not feeling tight at the bottom)
    140 x 5
    100 x 20

Pendlays
    60 x 5
    70 x 5
    80 x 5
    90 x 5 (3 sets)

Note: feeling sluggish after a long nap, squat form a bit off and loose. Not much time to do other lifts.

Default For Self-Reference:

Sets and Reps

There are a multitude of ways to regulate the sets and reps and many that I use. Here is an easy way to do it and what I call the "money-set" method. This is a lot like the max-effort method. The basic tenet of the money set method is each time you repat a particular workout you work up to at least ONE SET where you lift either more weight or do more reps then you did for your best set the last time you did the workout. Generally speaking, you'll do between 2-5 sets per exercise adding weight each set and working up to at least one maximum effort for a given number of reps. For example, say my last workout on incline dumbell press looked like this and my target rep range was 8:

pushups x 15

feet elevated pushups x 10

50 pound dumbells x 8

60 pound dumbells x 8

70 pound dumbells x 9 * money set

70 pound dumbells x 8 (tried to beat 9 but couldn't)

So, you can see I did 4 pretty hard sets but only one was a real money set. Next time i do that exercise I gotta beat 9 reps with 70 lbs.

As soon as you can do 3 more reps than your target rep range increase the load by 2-5%. So, if I did 200 pounds for 6 reps on squat the last workout and 200 pounds for 8 reps this time, the next workout I'd increase the load by 5-10 pounds and once again do as many reps as possible building back up to 8 reps.

Another method I use is the sub-maximal volume method. With this method you do all sets with the same weight starting with a weight that will not be quite an all out effort. Each workout you reduce the reps and increase the weight by about 5%.

So it will look something like this:

workout 1: 4 sets x 6 reps with 100 lbs.

workout 2: 4 sets x 5 reps with 105 lbs.

workout 3: 4 sets x 4 reps with 110 lbs

workout 4: 4 sets x 6 reps with 105 lbs (use at least as much weight as you used during the 2nd workout)

For most people I prefer the working up to a daily max method but either progressive resistance method will work fine. The idea is you're consistently adding weight to the bar.

The repetition range you choose for various exercises is basically up to you but here are some guidelines:

Rep Ranges

1-3 reps deadlifts

4-6 reps bench press variations, squats

6-8 reps single leg squats and deadlifts, glute hams, leg curls

8-12 reps curls and triceps

Default For Self Reference:

Hepburn's Progression

A Routine - Use Singles, start with 4 total and build up one rep per workout until you hit 10. (4 to 10 reps with 90%)

B Routine - Use triples and do the same progression. This was used when you went stale on the "A" routine, and was used until you were using the same weight for triples as you did for singles on "A" (12-30 reps with 75-80%)

When the trainee has completed the above portion of the exercise routine decrease the poundage so that FIVE SETS OF THREE CONSECUTIVE REPETITIONS can be performed. Strive to increase the number of repetitions by ONE in each training session.

For example, assuming the trainee has performed the five sets of three consecutive reps, in the next training period he will perform:

Four consecutive reps in the first set and three in the remaining four sets.

Then, in the following session:

Five consecutive reps in the first set and three in the remaining four sets.

Then, in the following session:

Five consecutive reps in the first set, four in the second set, and three in the remaining three sets.

Continue in the manner above until the required five sets of five consecutive repetitions can be performed, then increase the poundage and repeat from the beginning as explained above.

ALWAYS add the single reps to the FIRST sets until you hit the goal. For example:

3/3/3/3/3
    4/3/3/3/3
    5/3/3/3/3
    5/4/3/3/3... and so on...

Always do the added reps as soon as possible in the workout to maintain your energy. Don't add them at the end until its time to.
    Last edited by lifteatsleep; 04-24-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Default Note to Self

Using the “Ladder” Set/Rep Variation

Let's jump start this shit, it's going to be kind of garbled anyway:

About 4 years ago, Bob (Brock) and I trained together about 6-8 times a week. We'd train at lunch, and then after work. We followed a pretty typical WSB template, but did have ample opportunities for extra workouts.

Once we decided to do a variation of a low fatigue/high volume routine based on the "ladder" technique. We called it "Power Ladders". We chose 3s as our top set kind of arbitrarily. The term “ladder” refers to a progressive repetition scheme. See below. It's illustrated amply.

Testing initially indicated I had a 335 close grip bench. This is how I set it up: Rep range 1-3 or occasionally 1-5. Completion of 3 “ladders” at a set weight would trigger progression.

Note: These numbers are approximations, as I couldn't find my training log from back then to get the actual numbers.

Week 1:
    Day 1: 275x1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3
    Day 2: 285x1/2/3/1/2
    Day 3: 285x1/2/3/1/2/3

Week 2:
    Day 1: 285x1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3
    Day 2: 290x1/2/3/1/2/3
    Day 3: 290x1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3

Week 3:
    Day 1: 295x1/2/1/2/1/2
    Day 2: 295x1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3
    Day 3: 305x1/2/3/1/2/3

Week 4:
    Day 1: 305x1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3
    Day 2: 315x1/2/2/1/2/1
    Day 3: 315x1/2/3/1/2

Week 5: Tested my CGBP max.
    New max was 365.
    Bob's results were similar.

30# increase
    4 weeks of training.
    3 times per week on the movement, often two days in a row
    Not one rep went to failure.

Not too shabby.

What do you notice? Higher volume, low "relative" intensity, self-regulating "ladder" pattern, ~4-9 sets per "ladder"

I first read about the “ladder” set/rep scheme in one of those old bodybuilding books by Robert Kennedy. Circa 1988-89. That particular book (and I'll eventually look up which one) gave an example of using ladders to work on chins. Sounded easy enough. Do one rep, take a little break, do 2 reps, take a little break, and so on and so forth until you can no longer improve on your rep count.

Fast-forward a few years. Hell, maybe even a decade.

“Chain Yourself to the Power Rack and Call Me in a Year” appeared in MILO: A Journal for Serious Strength, published by Ironmind Enterprises. It was written by a relatively unknown trainer named Pavel Tsatsouline. In it he described how to “grease the groove” of a movement. This article is now on line, at the Dragondoor website and can be found here:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/69/

The concept of frequent, heavy practice of a lift while staying fresh is the heart of the concept, when applied to strength training.

Why use ladders?

First, they are easy to set up. Pick a rep range. Could be 1-3, could be 1-3-5, could be 5-10-20. Pick the number of times you'd go “up” the ladder, given that you don't reach the point of momentary muscular failure. Pick the condition that will trigger progression. Now do it.

Probably the most important thing is the fatigue management. It's better to start a ladder over than to attempt to force an extra rep out. With ladders you let the volume do the work.

Let me reiterate:

1.Pick your repetition range. Taking your approximate 5 RM and doing a ladder with 1-3 reps is a good place to start.
    2.Pick the number of times to run through the ladder. I'd suggest starting with 3 runs through. If you get all three ladders, then you need to add weight next time.
    3.It's about staying fresh and crisp. It's not about grinding them out and gritting your teeth.
    4.Let the volume do the work.

Other ways to use the ladder:

Bodyweight calisthenics are ideal for the use of a strength-endurance ladder. The most frequently recommended way of using a ladder is with a training partner in a “I go, you go” format. This becomes very competitive. Another variation is the breathing ladder. Do a rep, take a breath, do two reps, take 2 breathes, do three reps, take three breathes....keep adding reps and breathes until you can't add any more. This gets surprisingly hard with stuff like kettlebell swings and even bodyweight squats.

Reverse ladders or countdowns are another useful way. When I do an “EDT” type of workout, I often use reverse ladders to manage my fatigue so I can make or exceed my repetition target. This would look like a 3-2-1 or a 5-3-1 type of rep scheme.

The “ratchet” is a version of the ladder I read about over on Scott Sonnon's Circular Strength Training forum. A ratchet would look like: 1-2-3-2-3-4-3-4-5-4-5-6-5-6-7...and so on. The ratchet is a good way to mix things up and keep you on your toes.

And finally, here's a program I wrote a while back making extensive use of ladders. I think I went a bit overboard, but it's worth taking a look at. I did edit it from the original version. You can see that here:

http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=823

First off let's say some things about volume. Too much volume too fast is bad. You'll feel like a pussy, and regress like nothing else. But, greater volume isn't bad, it is good. And it has it's place in every routine much like some HIT-like to failure training does.

Volume is a good way to boost work capacity. Add a set a week for 3 weeks, then back it back down, then ramp it back up. Cycling is the way to success. Life is a cycle. Training should be cycled. Unlike some other unnamed idiots believe, periodization was not invented to coorespond with steroid cycles.

Volume is also a fine way to boost strength. A technique that is tailor-made for pussies is the power ladder, first popularized by Pavel the Latvian Sell-Out. For increased strength, a ladder could be constructed this way:

1. 275x1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3
    2. 285x1/2/3/1/2/3
    3. 285x1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3
    4. 295x1/2/3/1/2/3
    5. 295x1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3
    etc.

Train frequently, maybe every other day, and don't even approach the point of failure. If you think you might fail on the next set, stop right there, and return to a single. If you have a bad day, the ladder might look like this:

295x1/2/1/2/1/2/1/1

Don't be a pussy and get all wound up over it. The body's capacities change from day to day. Just don't go near failure, and keep up the ladder 2-3 x weekly, and you'll be amazed when your pussed out 315 lb deadlift is now around 355! Amazing. You just have to be prepared for the Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness that accompanies the initial sessions of higher volume work.

So, let's say you want to get stronger now. Stronger than you've ever been, but without getting crazy with the Westside Barbell stuff. Who the fuck can understand that shit anyway, eh?

This program will be a 4x weekly program. Just for shits and giggles, and to assist the average candyass who will do this routine, let's base it on ladders.

Session 1: Leg Strength

Squat Ladder: I don't care if you use the front squat or the back squat. Start out with an easy ladder of 1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3. Add weight when that ladder gets easy.
    Step Ups: Strictly for assistance. Use heavy dumbbells. Do 3 sets of 10 the first week, 4 sets of 10 the second week, and 5 sets of 10 the third week. If you aren't doing them anywhere else, feel free to sub RDLs here, or good mornings, or even the split squat with the rear leg elevated.
    Ab work: Pick two hard ab exercises, superset them, and do 3-5 supersets at the end of your workout.

Session 2: Overhead Strength

Press Ladder: Once again, I don't really care what press variation you use. I'd suggest standing overhead press. Start out with an easy ladder of 1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3. Add weight when that ladder gets easy. On your last set, do as many 4-6" lock outs as you can. I got that directly from Dan John.
    Weighted Chin Ladder: Oh yeah, you can't get away from the back work you pussies! A pathetic bastard like myself might start with unweighted ladders. Once again, try for 1/2/3/1/2/3/1/2/3, and add weight when that's pretty easy.
    Oblique Work: Choose 1 oblique exercise and do 3-5 sets. Do 'em heavy and quit whining.

Session 2: Lower Back Strength

This is where we separate the men from the boys

Good Morning Ladder: Keep the form strict, start off with something you can handle, and follow the guidelines for the squat. You might also consider 5 rep ladder here, depending on how you do with good mornings. You could also sub RDLs or regular deadlifts here as well.
    Zercher Squats from bottom position: We'll keep it simple: Do 5s until it gets too heavy, then do 3s. Don't kill yourself, but make it hard.

Just a quick note: This is my least favorite movement, and probably one of the most painful things you can do. Feel free to eliminate this in favor of Glute/Ham Raises done in the methodology I described above for step ups. You should evaluate how you feet before doing this! You could even substitute front squats.
    Ab Work: If you did the Zerchers, you don't need to do ab work. If you didn't, follow the above guidelines.

Session 4: Horizontal Pressing Strength

Bench press variation ladder: Perform as already described. Pick CGBP, BP, Floor press, Board presses, or whatever.
    Chin Ladder: at this point in the week, you lower back will be trashed. Do another chin ladder to help yourself stretch out.
    Oblique work: As above.

As always, feel free to toss in bicep, calf, and grip work AFTER you have done the rest of the workout. Even some interval style cardio or sled draggin' might be in the picture if you manage to grow a dick.

I would do the above workout for 3 weeks. On the fourth week, reduce the volume to a single trip up the ladder or 1-3 sets of assistance work, then on the fifth week, choose different variations of the main movements, and maybe even change up the assistance. Every fourth week should have a dramatic decrease in volume, to let yourself deload, rebound and supercompensate.
    Last edited by lifteatsleep; 04-25-2011 at 03:32 AM.

Alo LES!!!! Ready to be flamed? ;D

So which program is your ADD succumbing to?

Quote Originally Posted by neon View Post
    Alo LES!!!! Ready to be flamed? ;D

So which program is your ADD succumbing to?
    Trying out ladders for my pendlay rows and military presses. =D

Squats and deads are still the same.

starting strength coach development program
    27th April 2011

Deadlifts
    60 x 10
    80 x 8
    100 x 5
    120 x 3
    140 x 3
    150 x 1
    160 x 1
    170 x 3, 5 sets

Military Presses (ladders)

50 x 3
    60 x 1
    70 x 3, 2, 1 (5RM weight)
    70 x 3, 2, 1
    70 x 3, 2
    80 x 1

Neutral Grip Chins:

Note: Deadlifts took forever, need at least 3min rest in btw sets. Gonna stick with the current setup for next 3 weeks. Same goes for the military presses. Presses are smooth with the help of wrist wraps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast