starting strength gym

Thread: Just a couple of questions

Default Just a couple of questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone,

I have been doing starting strength since January 31st. So far there have been some decent progress in my lifts. However, as of last Friday, I have stalled on all of my lifts.
    So I have a couple of questions right now. My current stats are:
    Bodyweight: 66kg (started at 60kg, but I am finally starting to get my diet under control)
    Height: 177cm

Squat 100kg (before deload, I was at 110kg)
    BP 60kg (I had to deload at 60kg, but I managed to complete my sets this time)
    OHP 40kg (45kg before deload)
    PC 62,5kg (haven't deloaded on this one yet)
    DL 120kg (130kg before deload)

BTW: For the people who don't like long texts, I have a short summary of my questions near the end of my post.

So, right now I will be implementing a light squat day on wednesday. Especially because I was actually regressing in my amount of reps I did on friday compared to wednesday with a 110kg. However my question was this:

For the light squat day, Rip advised front squats or 80% back squats. However, he has decided that the front squats were mainly for olympic lifters now and everyone else should do the back squats. Could someone explain to me what the reasoning was behind this? I know it had to do something with back angle being more similar for the rest of the lifts though. However the core strength neccesary for the front squat seemed to be a nice benefit.

Secondly, after my next deload on the deadlift, I will be switching to deadlifting once a week. Following some pulling variant I found on this forum with PC on monday, back extension and chin ups on wednesday and then deadlifting on friday. My main problem with the deadlift is my grip, since I have read in the book that your grip decides whether the weight will budge or not. I was planning to implement this training on monday after the PC. http://www.andyboltonstrength.net/in...cles&Itemid=30 and then do farmer walks on friday. I was wondering if any of you have tried this program before and if it helped your grip strength?

Lastly, when squatting or any other movement for that matter, is it okay to take several breaths in between the reps? I know, that for the deadlift, it is considered a set as long as your hands stay on the bar. However what about squats? Do you need to do: rep, breath, rep, breath or can you take several breaths in between reps or is that considered cheating since you are actually resting?

Summary for the people who don't like long texts:
    Why is the back squat more favorable for light squat day then the front squat?

Has anyone tried this program http://www.andyboltonstrength.net/in...cles&Itemid=30 on monday with monday being PC day and friday being deadlift day?

Is it considered cheating to take several breaths in between reps?

Thanks in advance.

You are the same height as me, but are 60 lbs lighter. I think you may be adding a light day a bit prematurely. If I were you, I would continue doing the program, especially focusing on eating correctly, before you start adding all these complicated things in.

As for the breathing, it's not cheating to take a few breaths, but for a set of 5, it is probably not necessary to wait longer than a few seconds between reps.

I see, I do realise I am rather light for my height. I just based that adding a light day happened whenever you stalled on the squat once. The other thing is that I have noticed on fridays, is that my squats are rather weak compared to monday and wednesday. As for the breathing, great, so I didn't cheat in that case. Guess I will wait with the light day until I reach my second deload on the squat then.

However, you wouldn't happen to know the answer to the other questions would you?

Front squats have reduced hamstrings involvement, that's why Rip likes the back squat better. You have gained 6 kg in the last 4 months, you should have gained at least twice that amount and there lies the reason of your stall. That being so, you don't need the light day just yet.

You have gained 6 kg in the last 4 months, you should have gained at least twice that amount
    I have been training for 2 1/2 months not 4. Although it doesn't make the problem less significant, it isn't that extreme yet.
    Well guess, I will withold from implementing the light day.

Front squats have reduced hamstrings involvement, that's why Rip likes the back squat better.
    I see, so there are no other benefits to choosing the front squat over the back squat? I have just noticed the platform video about front squats, so I will just watch that in the mean time.

You might as well do teh light day since you did, after all, get stuck and don't want to get stuck again, but, yes, you should gain at least 10kg.

If you want to do olympic weightlifting, then doing front squats will be necessary.

Thanks for the help people. I guess, I will wait with the light day, since I am finally gaining weight again. So I should be able to breeze past my last failed attempt.

starting strength coach development program
    Gain some weight and then you won't be stalled for long.

I'm a girl, and I'm shorter than you, and I weigh more than you.

This is not okay.

You don't need front squats because you aren't focusing on Olympic lifting, and even if you said you wanted to focus on Olympic lifting, you need to get a hell of a lot stronger first.

Go eat.

Good luck.