starting strength gym

Thread: Gains on a 2X Week SS Program

Default Gains on a 2X Week SS Program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was wondering what kind of gains one can expect on a 2xweek SS type program?

I'm a competitive grappler and MMA guy and recently put training on the back burner (only trained once a week for just over a month) to focus on SS.

Originally I wanted to focus on SS for longer (at least 3 months) but I'm beginning to feel slow and sluggish while training, and its really starting to piss me off. I still want to lift 3X per week but with full time work and training as well its difficult to fully recover (and still make 5lbs gains on bench, PC and press and 10lbs gains on Deads and Squat) by my next SS session. I was planning to do something like this:

MON
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

TUES
    MMA and Grappling

WED
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

THURS
    MMA and Grappling

FRI
    Squat
    Press
    Power Clean

SAT
    Rest

SUN
    Rest

My progress has been staggered due to training and competing. In a time frame of about 5 months my lifts (these are work set weights) have gone as such:

Squat 245-315lbs
    Bench 170-210lbs
    Deadlift 275-310lbs
    Press 110-130lbs
    PC 110-135lbs

I'm 25yrs old, 5'11, and 220lbs. I know my numbers are nothing great and to be honest most of my gains were made in this last month or so when I tried to focus more on lifting. I still want to make gains (especially my Deadlift) but I don't know what to expect or how much/when to add weight.

Any input is greatly appriciated. Thanks.

I'm not sure how much you can expect from your squat and bench, but the other lifts absolutely have room to improve significantly. The plan you've laid out seems very reasonable. One thing you might consider is adding a recovery day on Saturday, light squats, light bench, light hang cleans, light press, some pullups. One option you could take if equipment and facilities are accommodating is to set these up in a circuit so that it's also a light conditioning workout as well, certainly something that has to be considered for your sport. Keep in mind that 2 days of complete rest can tend to make you feel stiff and sluggish on the following Monday.

I've thought about doing a "light" day in the past but always dismissed it because I still consider myself a novice. I figured if I was to add another day I might as well just be following strict SS. Why do you question how much my bench and squat will increase? At the moment it seems like those are the only two lifts that are increasing regularly for me (my deadlift has been stalled for a while and I'm considering doing more than just 1 heavy work set). On top of that I don't see any of my numbers being considered intermediate for someone weighing 220lbs.

Also, I think my first post was too long and drawn out. What I'm really trying to figure out is can I still add 5lbs to the bar on my Bench, Press and PC and 10lbs to the bar for my Squat and Deadlift if I'm only lifting heavy 2Xweek?

Thanks for the help, I don't have a strength/lifting coach so this site is all I have to go by.

At your weight, all of your numbers are low, the squat and bench just seem less low to me than the others, but if they're making the best progress, then that's great. The others may not be going as well but they have a LOT of room to improve.

Re: your question about being able to make 5/10 lb jumps, you're the only one that will be able to find out. The real issue is not lifting 2x a week vs 3x a week, but rather how does the MMA and Jiujitsu affect your recovery.

Don't think of a light day as the same as an extra workout. Anybody can benefit from using light days, regardless of training advancement. Whether you want to use it or not is your call though, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    Don't think of a light day as the same as an extra workout. Anybody can benefit from using light days, regardless of training advancement.
    Interesting. Light days are obviously necessary for periodization. Will you share a few of the other benefits?

This is all covered in Practical Programming, and probably Starting Strength as well to a lesser extent. All trainees who undergo a legitimate strength program, regardless of training advancement, have to deal with stress and fatigue caused from workouts. Everyone lifts heavy, from novices to advanced trainees, and heavy lifting produces fatigue. Light days are designed to speed up recovery, they flush blood through the muscles, and about as important is they mitigate the effects of detraining and keep the body prepared for the next heavy day. Of course the weights have to be light enough to not produce additional fatigue, but there's always a weight light enough for this. In addition, light days provide for extra technique work, keeping the neural motor patterns sharp.

You don't have to be an 'intermediate' or 'advanced' trainee to benefit from them. In principle, a novice lifter who's been lifting for a couple months could definitely benefit if the weights have started to actually get challenging. Let's say you've been lifting for a month or two and have worked up to a 185 lb squat which feels heavy for you and leaves you sore the next day. Assuming squats are done heavy on Mon/Wed/Fri, you could add light days on Tues/Thurs/Sat, squatting maybe 95-135 lbs for 1 or 2 sets of 5. Or it could be going to the gym on the off days and using the rowing machine for 15-30 minutes. There are lots of ways to make up a light day, depending on what makes sense to help recovery. Of course this isn't in the book because Rip has to be considerate of people's time, and being able to go to the gym 6 days a week is a luxury for most people.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    This is all covered in Practical Programming, and probably Starting Strength as well to a lesser extent. All trainees who undergo a legitimate strength program, regardless of training advancement, have to deal with stress and fatigue caused from workouts. Everyone lifts heavy, from novices to advanced trainees, and heavy lifting produces fatigue. Light days are designed to speed up recovery, they flush blood through the muscles, and about as important is they mitigate the effects of detraining and keep the body prepared for the next heavy day. Of course the weights have to be light enough to not produce additional fatigue, but there's always a weight light enough for this. In addition, light days provide for extra technique work, keeping the neural motor patterns sharp.
    Thanks MikeC1. I have in fact read both books, but I never remember everything the first time through and I am only on my second pass through them. I actually remember reading that now. Sorry to waste your time.