starting strength gym

Thread: 3 x 3 vs 1 x 5

Default 3 x 3 vs 1 x 5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I'm cutting down at the moment after an SS bulking phase. I'm starting to run out of steam on some of my lifts due to the caloric deficit, so I was curious about what would be the best option for me to continue progressing some: 1 x 5 or 3 x 3?

You may not be able to progress while cutting. If you are losing weight and not going backwards, you aren't doing too bad.

I chose 3x3 over 1x5. Happy with my choice. I have added 25 pounds to my squat so far.

Ive been doing a top set and a backoff set (Ive heard it called Reverse Pyramid) plus 1 rep on a deficit and maintaining my strength well.

My program basically looks like this:

A: SQ 1x5,1x6@90% BP 1x5,1x6@90%
    B: DL 1x5,1x6@90% PR 1x5,1x6@90%
    C: SQ 1x5,1x6@90% BP 1x5,1x6@90% Weighted Chins 3x5

I move the weight up if I get 5,6, so sometimes it's 3,4 or 2,3.

No strength loss yet and I've lost 15 lbs in 4 weeks. My weighted chins have gone up (I adjust the weight as my bodyweight goes down so I know I'm progressing)

if youll use decent progression, you wont loose any strength. My friend (bbuilider ) doin texas method + workin physically + boxing was doin full low carb diet and progressin...

starting strength coach development program
    If you're interested in looking less fat, another way of going about things might be to stay at the same weight but add muscle. I think John Mckean has spoken a bit about using singles to get into shape- when asked about his singles program on the Power and Bulk board, he replied:

Hey Tim, The boys and I would often do our total summer training (too hot for sets& reps!) with the singles program for 4 to 6 days per week ,especially if preparing for an all-round meet in the early fall. Our aerobic warmup maintained conditioning, and we usually ended up in better shape by Sept than we'd been all year!

Might be something to look into