starting strength gym

Thread: Beginner powerlifting routine

Default Beginner powerlifting routine

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello guys I've recently started getting involved in powerlifting at a competetive gym. I've run starting strength and got to a decent level but now I want a routine more tailored for powerlifting that will be suitable for me as most are too advanced. I feel in a kind of limbo where things sheiko/531 stuff will slow me down because i dont need something that complicated but the linear stuff not that effective while trying to stay in a weight class and not really specific enough for powerlifting. Will texas method be useful?

I know starting strength is powerlifting targeted but I know there are strong guys on here who compete and that rip used to compete and would really appreciate some ideas from guys on here. Thanks very much

Is there something wrong with TM or have you not heard of it?

I would check out Callador's intermediate log and his link to the Hepburn method book.

I'm pretty sure there are some simple powerlifting routines in PPST2 in the advanced lifter section. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with Texas Method. Like the other routines in PPST, it's designed to meet the goals of powerlifters, that is, to maximize your lifts.

You're not really clear what your intentions are, but when someone says powerlifting routine, it implies that you have a meet at some point in the future. So, pick a meet, if you haven't already, and start a new cycle (reset) so that your top lifts occur one week or two before the meet--then scale back (but don't stop lifting) so your body can recover in time for the meet.

Some other considerations on a cycle leading up to a meet: you might want to reduce your top set reps to 3s and 2s, instead of 5s (which will involve adjusting the weight up)--although I've known some powerlifters to train on 5s all the time. If you're going to use a suit or shirt, or whatever, of course, you need to be comfortable using that stuff well before the meet.