starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method: restarting after week off

Default Texas Method: restarting after week off

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been a while since I posted, but you guys always have good answers and I need one.

Been doing the Texas Method for a while, definitely like it. However, I will be completely unable to lift for a week, possibly 10 days, due to traveling/moving. I have my lifting schedule already mapped out for a few months, but was wondering how I should handle the skipped week. Should I do a repeat of the week last completed upon resuming lifting, go back a week, proceed as if I never skipped? I don't want to miss reps due to an extended layoff, but I also don't want to repeat if it's unnecessary.

What say you, oh gents of lifting knowledge?

I have been in this situation a couple of times.

A week off/10 days can actually help wash away residual fatigue, so if you are up for it, i would just carry on as usual, and don't be surprised if you come back strong as ever.

During christmas gym closures and due to snow, I had to 3 weeks or so off, with only 1-2 workouts in that period. I pulled back the workouts 2 weeks from where i finished before the closures. It was frustrating but i actually had a very long run before stalling. Again, i put this down to the rest period allowing residual fatigue to wash away.

I recently took seven days off between session, and on my return volume session I had a fantastic session. Did 5x5x160 easily when I'd really struggled to get 6x3x157.5 the week before. Given how fatigue can build up pretty easily from TM I think the odd break is actually good.

Thanks for the replies...I asked a few other lifters, they all came to a similar consensus that a little layoff might actually be beneficial. I'll just go balls to the wall on Thursday and not worry about missing a week.