starting strength gym

Thread: Press, bench, deadlift, and power clean form checks

Default Press, bench, deadlift, and power clean form checks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all. I'm 32, female 5'3" and 125 pounds.

After having the flu last month, I took a few weeks off. Very weak after this I decided to do a few weeks of SS to get back to where I was before going back to 5/3/1. Anyway, these lifts are all about 1 or 2 workouts away from hitting my previous 5 rep maxes.

Press 63
    Press side
    Bench 80
    Bench side
    Deadlift 178

I just started trying to learn power cleans so these are very light. The sets below have 1 hang clean and 2 from the floor.

Power clean 65
    Power clean side

I see lots to work on, but would like to know what input you guys have. Thanks!

I would take a wider grip on the presses and focus on getting under the bar rather than pushing the bar back. Deadlift looks fine. Didn't check the other lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I would take a wider grip on the presses and focus on getting under the bar rather than pushing the bar back. Deadlift looks fine. Didn't check the other lifts.
    Hey Carlos, would you consider the deadlifts to be fine because the rounding seems to be occurring in the thoracic, not lumber spine?

Also, the press grip width looks good to me, but a focus on a little more leanback and getting under it better could be advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    Hey Carlos, would you consider the deadlifts to be fine because the rounding seems to be occurring in the thoracic, not lumber spine?

Also, the press grip width looks good to me, but a focus on a little more leanback and getting under it better could be advised.
    Check the front view. Her grip isn't even outside of shoulder width, it's like close grip OHP or something.

I really don't see any back rounding on the deads.

Grip could be wider on press, and narrower on bench. I don't like the look of the upper back on your deadlifts either. 1st rep was ok, but the following ones were not. Let's see what other people say about the deads.

About the dead, I think what you guys are seeing is the way her scapula looks from the side. Hard to be sure.

solrit, why don't you run your deadlift video by Rip. We don't see a lot of people deadlifting with such noticeable thoracic rounding; I would think it's fine, but I for one don't know for sure if it's completely safe or if it puts you at risk for injury.

On your bench, you're touching a little too low on your chest; a little higher, about mid-sternum, will work better for you.

As Carlos and kel noted, your grip on overhead press is a little narrow, ideally it should be just outside of your shoulders.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, press grip is just inside shoulder width instead of outside. I'll definitely fix that.

If I'm going to touch the chest a bit higher on bench does that mean I need a slightly wider grip or to flare the elbows out a little?

My bench press has always seemed particularly weak, and I thought it might be because my elbows have to come down (even below the line of the bench) before the bar touches my chest which isn't exactly an advantageous position.

I'm not sure about the upper back rounding on the deadlift either. There are some threads on the subject after searching, but I can't tell the difference between rounding due to form/weakness, and rounding due to anatomy/posture. I know that I am trying to pull my chest up to set my upper back before each rep. The rounded area is scapula.