starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30+ couple needs advice.

Default 30+ couple needs advice.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My wife (5'4" 230) and I (6ft 310) are both looking into getting back into shape both for ourselves and to set good examples for our young kids.

I just ordered and received both of Mark's books SS and PP and they are great.

Our dilemma comes in the fact that the only fitness facility we both have access to (within a 45+ minute drive) is a "snap fitness" which is great in the fact its open 24/7 but since it doesn't always have staff onsite it doesn't have a power rack for squats or a normal bench for bench presses due to liability concerns.

The only options we have for squats is a smith machine or a leg press and for bench press we only have machines or dumb bells.

Ther are free barbells we can use for deadlifts, but no bumper plates for power cleans and they dont allow dropping weights for flooring considerations.

MY question is can we still get similar results from doing a workout that is more:

Workout A
    Smith machine squats
    Deadlift
    machine/dumb bell bench press

Workout B
    smith machine squats
    bent over row
    machine overhead press

I was also wondering if the hangclean would be as effective or more effective than the bent over row, or if its possible to do a power clean and lower the bar under control or if that would open us up to possible injury or not.

I have some lifting experience from high school sports and the military but she is a 100% novice and both would be starting as such.

Why don't you just buy some used weights so you won't have to use the smith machine?

Smith machine squats aren't just unsatisfactory, they aren't really squats (and aren't safe in the opinion of many) - http://startingstrength.com/resource...5600#post95600

If that gym is really the only option you have, you might even try another program, one that isn't squat-centric like SS. This other program (maybe Pavel's Power to the People, which includes deadlifts and presses) won't be as effective, but it might be better/easier to follow than SS minus squats.

I would definitely go with the cleans instead of the rows. I have been cleaning with iron plates for several years now - you just get used to lowering the weight under control.

Also, if you have a free barbell, you can do overhead presses without the machine - you just have to clean the weight up to your shoulders first.

I would also echo the above advice - I just picked up a power rack with an (extra, for me) barbell and plates for $250 thru Craigslist. This would get you started for probably quite a bit less than a year of gym membership fees.

I would also suggest spending some money on a real powerrack. This will be a long term investment and will probably be cheaper than you and your wives gym memebership after a year or two.

But if you're only option is that gym, I would suggest you try either hack squats or prefferably zercher squats. Neither are as good as regular squats, but zerchers are much better than nothing (leg press). Just be aware that it will hurt; you might need to use a pussy pad. But when you are doing this, you will be so badass that noone will ever care.

1st of all, congratulations on taking action to get in shape. A lot of people talk about it, but never carry it out. I wish I could get my wife interested.

You have to make do with what you have available. There is a shit load of exercises that you can do with dumbbells and a barbell without a power rack or a suitable bench for barbell bench presses without resorting to using the machines.

Dumbbells - Rear lunges, front lunges, Bulgarian split squats, goblet squats, front squats, single leg Romanian deadlifts, rows, cleans, suitcase carry, farmer's walk, Turkish get-up, swings, overhead presses, side presses, and bench presses.

Barbell - Front squat, zercher squat (as mentioned above), hack squat, deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, deficit deadlifts with a snatch grip, cleans (they can be done without dropping the bar), rows, and presses.

There are probably dozens of variations of the above and other exercises that I haven't thought of and that's without even mentioning curls or triceps kickbacks. Make yourself a set of home made TRX Suspension straps (google it) and hang them from the smith machine frame to do inverted rows and ab fallouts at progressively more difficult angles. The smith machine is also good for doing chin ups and inverted rows from the bar.

Don't forget the good old fashioned push-up. When you can do bunch check out ways to progress the difficulty (Martin Rooney is a good source).

As Ripp has said on occasion, "Perfect is the enemy of good." Make the best possible use of what you have available. You might have to get creative. If you aren't creative, there's plenty of people on the internet who are and are willing to help.

Good luck.

Seriously, save the money on the gym membership and go on Craigslist and buy a used bar and plates.

Thanks for all the responses, I greatly appreciate the assistance. I found out that my work actually has a gym that has a power rack so problem solved. My wife however has told me she has absolutely no interest in doing SS, So I'm just going to try to develop a simple program for her that hits all the major body parts with as many compound exercises as possible that she can do on her own. For me though I'm definitely doing starting strength and will let you guys know how it goes.

Tell your wife she'll get really shapely glutes from SS. That's how I convinced my mom and aunt to try it. My aunt wakes up at 5 AM to go workout and then leaves for work at 8, so she benefits from a short workout that hits everything like SS.

I will just drop by the program I gave to my mom. She had been suffering from both lower back and knee pain, and didn't want to do anything risky. Her plan now looks like this:

Goblet Squats (much easier to learn than squats)
    Knee Pushups
    Chinups (Chair assisted)
    Plank
    Birddog
    Glute bridge

The last three exercises were to help her with her back problems. I am also planning on adding press as soon as she is ready for it. It is working good so far, and she very much enjoys the progress she is making
    Last edited by Kje_simen; 04-24-2011 at 02:10 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kje_simen View Post
    I will just drop by the program I gave to my mom. She had been suffering from both lower back and knee pain, and didn't want to do anything risky. Her plan now looks like this:

Goblet Squats (much easier to learn than squats)
    Knee Pushups
    Chinups (Chair assisted)
    Plank
    Birddog
    Glute bridge

The last three exercises were to help her with her back problems. I am also planning on adding press as soon as she is ready for it. It is working good so far, and she very much enjoys the progress she is making
    My mom had back problems. I put her on SS, then the Greyskull LP, and now a 2 day week version of GSLP. She has deadlifted once a week for about 7 months now now has no issues with her back whatsoever. She deadlifted 8x200 pounds at a bodyweight of 123 at age 53 on Saturday. I think you should consider light deadlifts to start in your mom's program IF (and this is a big IF) you are confident in your ability to coach it and spot form flaws.
    Last edited by Briks42; 04-25-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: taking out typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast