starting strength gym

Thread: TM Question

Default TM Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Guys,

I recently posted bringing up my poor deadlift lock out and got great answers from you guys. For those of you who dont know, I'm an intermediate trainee -- Squat 465 x 5RM, Bench 325lbs 1 RM, Deadlift 525 1RM.

Recently I took some advice from one of the members here to take a few weeks off completely to let me shoulders heal from some really bad tendonitis in my arms and shoulders.

I basically did nothing but some light deadlifts and ab work for a couple weeks, though as a test on the second week I wanted to see how the recovery session of TM felt and if my shoulders had recovered..which they did! So, I wanted to go after the intensity session and resume progress. On the Friday I went for 455lbs(thinking I could hit atleast 5 with it) and missed the second rep. The first rep felt pretty easy but the second I just lost my balance and tipped over and had to dump it. Fortunately there was no shoulder pain accompanied by the squat like usual even with that weight which would have normally set a fire in my arms.. So my question is how to return to TM after being off it for a couple weeks and a important detail I want you guys to consider is that I've decided I want to start low bar squatting instead of the high bar squat. It's sunday now and I train on Tuesdays, thursdays, and saturdays and I want to resume the 5x5 on tuesday but don't know what numbers to start of with the 5x5..I would image it'd be very close to where I had left off, especially given the low bar squat can handle more weight. What do you guys think? I also want to make sure my adductors can handle the new positioning.

Let me know what all you guys think!

I would take 10-15% off of your work sets across the board. Then bring them back up to speed with larger jumps, say 10-15lbs instead of the usual 5, then once you are within 1-2 weeks of your previous weights come back down to 5lb jumps so that you don't overdo anything too soon. Also, are you alternating rack pulls with haltings for your deadlift? This might help with your perceived weakness. This is what I did previously when I was running the TM and had great results. Best of luck!

-Hat