starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS Training Seminar June 10-12 : Atlanta, GA

Thumbs up SS Training Seminar June 10-12 : Atlanta, GA

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am seriously considering attending the Atlanta Seminar and starting this thread to help myself and others prepare for the same. I am interested in knowing the following -

1) what to bring
    2) nearby places for lodging - I know Residence Inn is very near and it also provides complimentary breakfast
    3) what to read in addition to SSBBT and PPST

Also if any of you guys are interested in sharing a room and/or grouping together for a getting a group discount, please send me a PM.

I hope you sign up, you would really appreciate understanding why we train as we do and get some time on the platforms that you seek. A lot of folks have been to a seminar and can tell you what they brought that was beneficial.

When we go, we stay here: http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/prop...srch=1&sissr=1

But first you need to sign up.

jp

You need to sign up. The seminar was great, and no matter how good you think you've self-taught yourself, you will walk away a better lifter, and a better coach / instructor. I'll be there - Rip needs someone to make fun of!

As far as what to bring:

1) Drinks. Water is available, but other drinks are not (though I seem to recal coffee being there).
    2) Bring food if you don't want to leave for lunch.
    3) I'm local, so I'm not sure about Hotels, but a free Conti breakfast is hard to beat.
    4) You need to be VERY familiar with the material in SS:BBT and PPfST. HOWEVER, bring writing implements, you will be taking voluminous notes.
    5) Bring all your standard weightlifting gear. If you have and use shoes, belts, wraps, etc, bring them as they come in handy. Or not. Except for the shoes. You NEED shoes or else Rip will make fun of you.
    6) Cotton t-shirt, OK? Really. A cotton t-shirt. Wear it. And shoes. Wear weightlifting shoes OR RIP WILL MAKE FUN OF YOU.

Others will point out what I have missed.

If I had thought of it sooner, I would have brought one of those microcassette recorders like I used in college. There's a lot to absorb during the lectures, and plenty of off-the-cuff commentary that's gold. If I'm not mistaken, AK Crossfit is in the Buckhead area of Atlanta. I'd check that area for hotels. Oh yeah, and be well rested and well fed by the time you get there.

Thanks for all the excellent advise. Yes AK Crossfit is in Buckhead area. Also getting a recorder might be very helpful. Any other thoughts, please do share here.

Also if anybody might be interested in sharing lodging and/or grouping together for getting a group discount ($79 discount per participant for 4 or more people), please PM me.
    Last edited by hh23; 04-27-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Guys, you can't come and record the seminar. That's not part of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Guys, you can't come and record the seminar. That's not part of the deal.
    I understand. I was planning to check with you guys about the recording and you responded before that. Thanks for letting us know.

I really want to attend this and am working to make it happen. One question: Do Chuck Taylors count as weightlifting shoes, or do they have to be specialty shoes like Do-Wins? (Not that I mind being made fun of; if it isn't for shoes, it would be for something else!)

Chuck Taylors are not weightlifting shoes. Many people who haven't yet purchased WL shoes use them. Do-Wins are one brand, and there are many, of WL shoes. I can't recall making fun of someone for wearing Chuck Taylors at a seminar. We'll find more interesting aspects of you to make fun of. Trust.

jp

starting strength coach development program
    The ATL seminar was a nice experience. Please do post the pictures whenever you guys get a chance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast