starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Bar Squat Check

Default High Bar Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My main concern with my squats is the forward bar movement near the bottom. What can I do to fix it? I've tried forcing a verticle bar path but it doesn't work. Also importantly, why do you think the bar is coming forward?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6xEg7cqwLo

looks just like a low bar squat, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    looks just like a low bar squat, sorry
    Its crossed my mind that I squat more low bar then traditional high bar, but I dont really care.

It has a very low-bar outlook, I have to agree. And I think the bar is coming forward because you seem to be doing a low-bar squat with the bar up your traps, therefore the bar's position is more forward than usual.

And what in God's name is that thing around your knees?

You've spent a long time squatting low bar previously, right? Sorry, but it will probably just take time to reprogram the movement pattern if the low bar technique is so ingrained. First step is to SLOW DOWN. For a few weeks, or however long it takes to learn the new movement, pause at the bottom and don't use the stretch reflex. Reducing the weight on the bar might help. Drive up with the hips, but do it SLOW enough that you can keep your chest up through the movement. If you still can't make it work, then forget about the hip drive, and just think about leading up with the chest, same as you would do on a front squat.

When I did high bar on a couple of occasions, focusing on keeping the back as vertical as possible seem to do the trick.
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 04-25-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    You've spent a long time squatting low bar previously, right? Sorry, but it will probably just take time to reprogram the movement pattern if the low bar technique is so ingrained. First step is to SLOW DOWN. For a few weeks, or however long it takes to learn the new movement, pause at the bottom and don't use the stretch reflex. Reducing the weight on the bar might help. Drive up with the hips, but do it SLOW enough that you can keep your chest up through the movement. If you still can't make it work, then forget about the hip drive, and just think about leading up with the chest, same as you would do on a front squat.
    I've actually been squatting high bar for as long as I've been training pretty much, which is year now. I had previously squatted low bar but that was just a brief stint of a few months with shit form followed by a long layoff (injuries). But like I said in my above post, I dont personally see the problem with my being that bent over. It pretty much just means more hamstring involvement, right?

The thing around my knees is a resistance tube and it helps me cue knees out.

Quote Originally Posted by Regin Smidur View Post
    Also importantly, why do you think the bar is coming forward?
    Probably because that band around your knees prevents you from squatting correctly. As others have pointed out, this is a low bar squat with the bar carried up higher on the traps. Ditch the band and figure out what squat style you want to focus on. Also, the weights are obscuring you at the bottom. We can see the bar moving around, but can't see what you are doing very well. Try and oblique angle if you post another vid.

I've actually been squatting high bar for as long as I've been training pretty much, which is year now. I had previously squatted low bar but that was just a brief stint of a few months with shit form followed by a long layoff (injuries). But like I said in my above post, I dont personally see the problem with my being that bent over. It pretty much just means more hamstring involvement, right?

The thing around my knees is a resistance tube and it helps me cue knees out.
    The thing is, I don't think you really can do a high-bar squat with the back bent over like that, if I make a mental picture of the whole scene the bar ends up in front on the mid-foot, which coincidentally explains your problem of the bar falling forward.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, you're free to squat however you like, but I think you're sort of missing the point. The point of the high bar squat is to remove the hamstring involvement and force the quads to do most of the work; also to reduce the strain on the lower back. If you want more posterior chain involvement, then better to squat low bar. The way you're squatting now, the bar is forward of your midfoot and consequently leads to a less than efficient squat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast