starting strength gym

Thread: Question for those who have done Smolov?

Default Question for those who have done Smolov?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have completed the base meso-cycle. I have finished the switching phase. Tonight was the first day of the three day per week intense phase.

I programmed in the weight using http://www.joeskopec.com/smolov.html

Anyway, it felt horrible. I missed the last rep on the last set. This is the same weight that I did for 10 x 3 for my final workout on the base meso-cycle. Now doing 3 x 4 and a 1 x 5 is killing me. I feel a lot weaker after the switching phase.

So, my question is has this happened to anyone else? I remember the first day of smolov doing the 4x9 and thinking "this is going to kill me"...but, by week 2 I was basically numb to further squat induced pain (the magic of smolov). Is the intense phase the same way?

Ironic, my first intense cycle day was hard, even though (as you mentioned) it was the same weight of the last '10x3' day.

Just a small disclaimer, I probably shouldn't have even done Smolov but anyways back to my point...

I dropped down the weight for the first week. My new max was 335, so I put in 330 in that same calculator. I couldn't perform the first work out so I bumped it down do '315' in the calculator, then after the first week it actually got easy so I actually added 5lbs a per WORKOUT until i was back at 330. That helped.

For me, I only added 15lb pounds after the intense phase, again, I shouldn't have done smolov. Cheers.

I think I should have only done a one week switching phase. By week number two of the switching phase my body "wanted" to squat again. I ignored it because the program says two weeks. Ah well, I am going to grind this out one way or another...either I get stronger or I die under the bar.

I wanted to make a shirt that said "SMOLOV OR DIE!" when i was doing it. Its not like SS, or any LP program because Smolov is directed towards one goal, a big squat...all of your focus is driven to one point so the intensity is just tremendous, I bid you good squatting.

Today I was sore going in but I got through the whole workout (which is harder than monday). Everything seemed to come back strong today and the last reps felt really strong and fast. I should have known by now not to question how smolov does business.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, just gotta play it out..it will be for the best. Good luck