starting strength gym

Thread: Please help me fix my squat

Default Please help me fix my squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been working on form but still seem to have some bad habits.

The video is with 175 lbs and to my eye the whole thing just looks terrible and awkward. Especially compared to some videos posted here.

I have the DVD and the books and I think my problems are:
    - going straight down rather than sitting back
    - knees too far forward

It feels like I'm sitting back but obviously I'm not.

Any suggestions for how to train myself to do this correctly? Maybe TUBOW would help with the knees.

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gq_t...e_gdata_player

Sunil

Your problems are that you're letting the bar drift forward as you come up, and you're twisting to your right. Don't let the bar twist as you squat back up, and keep it balanced over your midfoot at every point in the movement.

Wow - you are right! I totally didn't notice that.

Do the back, hips, and knees look ok? How about depth? My original problem was not going deep enough.

Thanks again.

Sunil

Quote Originally Posted by rao00010 View Post
    Do the back, hips, and knees look ok? How about depth? My original problem was not going deep enough.
    Worry about these after getting the other ones fixed. Fixing your bar path issues usually helps make some other problems go away.

They look deep enough to me.

It looks like you're squatting high bar, is that your intention?

No - not my intention. Tough to tell from the angle in the video but the bar is across the scapular ridge. I'll see if I can get a video from the back. When I first started I was using a high bar position until I got the DVD and read on this forum. I'll take a look at the video from the back and see if maybe I do need to adjust the bar downward more.

This is very helpful. Thank you.

Sunil

starting strength coach development program
    Mike is right on the money, and it definately looks like highbar. Isnt the twist to the left - as in the left side moves forward? In any case the twist *might* have to do with positioning of your feet. I had a cork-screw tendency at one point and it was due to foot position + knee wobble on one side. I'd recommend making really fucking sure you get rid of it, before things get too heavy. I injured myself pretty well doing the cork-screw.