starting strength gym

Thread: Clean vs Deadlift - Start Position and Knee Position

Default Clean vs Deadlift - Start Position and Knee Position

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Alright I've done some analysis of my start positions and positions just below the knee on both the clean and the deadlift. I feel like my deadlift start position is pretty good as well as my deadlift position at the knee except my back is not real arched, but the weight is heavy, it happens. Any critiques on the deadlift start and knee positions?

I know Mark recommends the pull from the floor to the knee should be the same on the clean and the deadlift. Based upon the pictures below I definitely feel like when you compare the position at the knee that I'm actually in a much better position on the deadlift knee position to start a second pull of a clean as opposed to my clean position at the knee. My shoulders are definitely out over the bar better, I just feel I might need some more arch in my back if it was a clean. Was curious if you guys agree or disagree?

If the answer is yes (which I think it might be), would I be better off approaching the bar on the clean the same way I do with the deadlift? At least for the first pull?

Any input is appreciated, I'm really trying to make my clean more efficient.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Binford View Post
    If the answer is yes (which I think it might be), would I be better off approaching the bar on the clean the same way I do with the deadlift? At least for the first pull?
    This is the argument that Rip makes. You should try it out and see how things go for you.

The mid-deadlift position that you show in your picture, is actually an ideal clean position too. Every coach ive heard raves on about getting over and staying over the bar till the very last moment (above the knee). Tommy Kono says that it leaves you with the maximum potential to apply force onto the bar due to the longer ROM that is left. But I cant comment too specifically as I am not an experienced olympic lifter, and my own cleans suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    The mid-deadlift position that you show in your picture, is actually an ideal clean position too. Every coach ive heard raves on about getting over and staying over the bar till the very last moment (above the knee). Tommy Kono says that it leaves you with the maximum potential to apply force onto the bar due to the longer ROM that is left. But I cant comment too specifically as I am not an experienced olympic lifter, and my own cleans suck.
    Thats what I was thinking, I felt like my deadlift position at the knee was way better than when I was doing a clean. So I'm going to attempt to reproduce that position a little more when cleaning. It just happened on the deadlift, the weight was 405 so there was no manipulating the bar. But with at 225 power clean like in the picture sometimes it seems like I manipulate the bar too much instead of just letting it happen.