starting strength gym

Thread: Programming deadlift, form creep

Default Programming deadlift, form creep

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My deadlift is primarily a pile of shit. I've improved it a lot over the last few months, but it still sucks compared to my squat and I'd like to change that. I'm currently squatting/pulling 385/375 for a set of 5 each.

I'm currently on the texas method, and deadlifting 1 set of 5 on intensity day, and increasing the weight 10 lbs per week. Whenever the weight itself gets heavy, my deadlift becomes an ugly, round-backed monstrosity.

What I'm doing right now obviously isn't working very well, so what should I be doing differently?

This is going to go against the grain of what is preached here. But I have really found that training the deadlift with singles is a good way to make sure your form is solid each and every rep. This seems to work best with around 8-12 singles on the minute like speed deadlifts. Obviously its more volume then 1x5, but each rep will be slightly easier because you get a minute rest between each, so you can pull more reps total. Just start with what you are doing now (375) and pull on the minute and see how you feel, if you hit 10-12 then call it a day and next week add 5-10. If you can't hit up to 8, back off a few lbs and work back up.

Something that's worked well for me would be doing a set of 5 one week at a moderate weight, the next week try to set a 3 RM, then repeat, gradually moving weight up. Also, if you want to throw in a different week where you work up to a heavy single (close to, but not necessarly a max), I've seen good results there. That would give you something like 5/3/1 though I'd personally let the weight move around some depending on how you feel. The key with deadlifting is to keep form okay and just keep doing it consistently, without beating yourself into the ground.

Wouldn't hurt to deload to whatever is manageable to achieve good form then only making 5 lb jumps weekly. 10 lbs a week can be a bit difficult to keep up with decent form and effective recovery to be hitting another 10 lb jump the following week.

If you wanted to hit singles I would say drop the weight a bit if you intend on hitting a large volume (8+).

Quote Originally Posted by AdamF View Post
    This is going to go against the grain of what is preached here. But I have really found that training the deadlift with singles is a good way to make sure your form is solid each and every rep. This seems to work best with around 8-12 singles on the minute like speed deadlifts. Obviously its more volume then 1x5, but each rep will be slightly easier because you get a minute rest between each, so you can pull more reps total. Just start with what you are doing now (375) and pull on the minute and see how you feel, if you hit 10-12 then call it a day and next week add 5-10. If you can't hit up to 8, back off a few lbs and work back up.
    That sounds like a good idea. I've noticed my deadlift tends to deteriorate as I progress in a 5-rep top set. First the grip, then, sometimes, rounding.

http://marylandpowerlifting.com/page.asp?contentID=48

This is the article that explains why this is a good idea. Obviously not the only way, but still a good way to train the deadlift. Matt's program is periodized for an advanced lifter, but if a person is still on TM, I found that 80% for 8-12 singles was about right to keep progress going. This is up to the individual though, some people may do just fine with 5 singles if pulling volume burns them out.

Thanks for sharing the article, and your experience with doing singles.

HF, I've had good results deloading and doing 5lb weekly jumps. 350 1x5 was this past Monday. My program is basically:

Monday
    Squat 3x5
    Press/Bench GSLP
    Deadlift 1x5

Wednesday
    Glute Ham Raise (instead of light squats due to patellar tendinitis)
    Press/Bench GSLP
    Chins 11,11,13 last time, working to 3x15 before weighted chins

Friday
    Squats 3x5
    Press/Bench GSLP
    Power Cleans 5x3

starting strength coach development program
    I tried doing singles today at 375. It didn't work out too well. I'm going to try singles again next week, but take some weight off, maybe 335-345, which is about 80% for me.

EDIT: And I think I'm just going to have to accept 5 lb weekly jumps.
    Last edited by hamburgerfan; 05-06-2011 at 01:28 PM.