starting strength gym

Thread: May 2011 Squat Camp in Oakland Recap

Default May 2011 Squat Camp in Oakland Recap

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It was a beautiful day in Oakland, CA, as it often is this time of year. The bright sun, clear skies, and 70 degree temperatures meant only one thing - it was time to go inside and squat. We had 8 participants in the camp this afternoon and all of them had at least some squatting experience under their belts. In fact, we had two participants from previous Starting Strength Seminars that stopped by for a refresh on the material and the chance to spend some time under the bar. The idea that the torso needs to stay vertical in the squat is a persistent one, but with a little bit yelling people get into the correct positions and begin to understand how the posterior chain really functions in the low bar squat.

I am also consistently impressed with the women that I see roll through my classes at CrossFit Oakland. Many of them are quite strong. One of the participants who traveled from Santa Cruz squatted a solid three sets of five at 180 or 190 pounds (I can't quite remember, so I am going to say 190 because I like that number.) She was a lean, but well muscled woman. Impressive. For the gents that squat less than that, or just a little more, let that be some motivation to refocus your training. Larger muscles move bigger weights. I look forward to the next camp in a few weeks.

Thanks a lot for the great camp, Tom! I'm looking forward to putting some of the things I learned to work. Julie was excited afterwards too and it was great for her to get coaching from a real coach; it really gave her a lot more confidence in the movement.

We had a wonderful time and it was cool meeting you and all of the other attendees!

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post

I look forward to the next camp in a few weeks.
    Is there another squat camp planned for Oakland? If so, when?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBell View Post
    Is there another squat camp planned for Oakland? If so, when?
    Indeed, I am planning to hold more camps there. I am working out the details for the next camp now.

Default SS Camp Recap

Thanks for hosting the session Tom, and for the DL review too! Time to work on my speed and grip, and I'll be heading up in weight. Take care.

I live in SoCal but would make the trip up for a squat or deadlift camp. Hope I can make the next one!

I also live in so cal and would head up for a squat camp

starting strength coach development program
    My home gym is right about to move, so I am making arrangements to use another nearby facility. My gym is only moving about a mile away, but until things are settled I can't really schedule anything there. I should have a new seminar or two up in the near future. Thanks for the interest.