starting strength gym

Thread: SS twice a week

Default SS twice a week

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    i box on tuesdays and thursdays , so any more than 2 workout days will be too fatigueing and will cut down recovery time because of boxing and the bodyweight excercises and drills that we do. i was wondering if doing this routine 2x a week would still give me gains, provided im bulking up and eating alot, as i plan to gain atleast 20lbs before september. right now ive started day 1 of SS on sunday and have done Squats,Bench, and Deadlifts. wednesday is day 2 of my workout routine. If i were to follow this sundays and wednesdays, would that still provide me with adequate strength and size gains?(obviously it wont be as much as 3x a week). Also, do you think i should add in accessory work on the 2 days? or is it fine as it is as ill only be working out twice a week.

thanks alot

Do the program as laid out for an advanced novice on Monday and Friday.

So I do squat ,bench,and chinups 2 sets tofailure at around 8 on Sunday,then light squats 2x5 80% of five rep max,press 3x5,and powercleans 3x5? But isn't this less work than doing the original where it's squats,bench and deads on one day and squats ,press and powercleans the next workoutday?like wouldn't I get more progress doing that instead if I'm working out twice a week only?

I did it twice a week, and just did the normal novice routine of 3x5 for SQ, BP and OHP, and 5x3 and 1x5 for PC and DL respectively. On another two days I did bodyweight work, split squats, pushups and rows, progressing to chinups. This worked well. My nutrition and rest weren't perfect, and I have a stuffed back, so the extra recovery time helped.

Quote Originally Posted by daghetto View Post
    So I do squat ,bench,and chinups 2 sets tofailure at around 8 on Sunday,then light squats 2x5 80% of five rep max,press 3x5,and powercleans 3x5? But isn't this less work than doing the original where it's squats,bench and deads on one day and squats ,press and powercleans the next workoutday?like wouldn't I get more progress doing that instead if I'm working out twice a week only?
    I have no idea where you got the formulation you stated. SS is a 3x5 program. No sets are to failure. Read the book.

What I suggested skipping the light squat day on Wednesday. Like below. And you need to get and read PPST probably.

Mon: BS/Bench/PC
    Tue: Box
    Wed: Rest
    Thu: Box
    Friday: BS/SP/DL

Wash, rinse repeat.