starting strength gym

Thread: shifting weight in squat

Default shifting weight in squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When doing squats I have noticed that I tend to shift over towards my right side before ascending upwards. I am wondering if it is better to lower the weight and consciously correct this before continuing to move up or if it would be suggested to try to correct the form issue with the weight im already at?

Unless your form is breaking down in other ways, I'd stick with the weight you're on and just be mindful to not favor a leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty9 View Post
    When doing squats I have noticed that I tend to shift over towards my right side before ascending upwards. I am wondering if it is better to lower the weight and consciously correct this before continuing to move up or if it would be suggested to try to correct the form issue with the weight im already at?
    I used to do this too. When I switched to intermediate training I deloaded quite a bit more than 10% to fix this. As long as you focus on keeping your legs even, it will get fixed a bit sooner than you think (maybe 3-4 weeks). I then cheated and jumped up to my previous 5RM after it got fixed but I stayed much more even.

If you are in the middle of linear progression I'd suggest focusing on staying perfectly even during your warm-up sets. This works well with ramping sets as I do, but I'm sure you could get at least the first work set staying even if you put in some effort. Other than that, don't worry about it, it's nice to have fixed but not urgent.

thank you for the tips and thoughts