starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Can you please help me fix my squat and deadlift form? I just started the program so it's a light weight for both

Thanks

I think the biggest problem with your videos is your footwear. Those shoes look like they have big cuishy heels, which makes a proper squat or deadlift harder. Get a pair of chuck taylors or some squat shoes, or go barefoot when you lift.

Other then that your squat looks fine to start moving up in weight. Well, the bar is high on your back actually. If your trying to squat low bar then your doing it wrong. Other then that there are no major issues that I see.

Your not locking your deadlift out completely at the hips. Lean back and "hump the bar" at the top. Just not too much or you'll hyperextend and hurt your back.

Be sure to post another check when the weight starts getting heavy, like 100kg for the squat and 120kg for the deadlift.

Before we go any further, I have to ask: Have you read the book?

I agree with Regin Smidur.

You are grabbing the bar wrong on the squats.

That's not a low bar squat. The bar needs to come down to the spine of your scapula. There's a nice ridge in there to rest on. You are all the way on your traps, way too high for this program. Also, your elbows are pointing down, they need to be up more. Your wrists are bent, they should be straight. Don't grip the bar-- put your thumb on top with your fingers. I think you feet look good, except for the shoes. Please buy weight lifting shoes tomorrow.

Are you looking straight ahead? Don't. Look down a foot or two in front of you.

Depth of squat looks good.

Something is off on the Dead lift. I think you are using your hips too early. Straighten you knees first and then finish the lift with your hips. Also, I think you need to raise your ass up at the very bottom.
    Your bar path on the way down is not vertical. You are curving around your knees-- on the way down you're bending your knees too early so the bar has to go around them.

Rip, curious to hear your thoughts and if I'm seeing this right.

I just got the book + DVD and started them, now I see what I have been doing wrong, thank you very much for your feedback. I will get some different shoes than my running ones for lifting--if you had to chose, would wrestling shoes or Chuck Taylors be better? I'm looking for something maybe less than $50
    Today I tried to put the bar lower on my back, but I'm not sure if i'm doing it quite right. I think I have it at about some kind of ridge that's a little lower than my traps, but for some reason my wrist twists straight up and I can't make it straight--do you know how to fix this? I put my elbows higher and it felt better.
    Right, I should use thumb on top for squats only... I know that's super bad for bench. Maybe that's the fix to the wrist problem?
    Deadlift felt kind of weird going down, now I see why... I think the bending my knees to early is why, as you said. Question... are my hips too low for deadlift? I should just bend over and keep my butt in the air, put the shins over the bar, chest up, and then push with legs and pull right?

Thanks once again, so helpful

Squat: Move your arms wider to get your elbows up so you can have straight wrists. You don't want to create unnecessary torque on the wrist, elbows or shoulders. Those joints should not be stressed while squatting, so get those wrist straight.

The bar goes on your back at the top of the shoulder blade. There should be muscle and bone it's resting on that is not your spine. It's a good 3-5 inches below you trap I would say. The spot supports the bar, otherwise, it's not the right spot. Then again, you get tight throughout your torso when you get ready to unrack, so that tightness, plus bringing your elbows up will press the bar against your back pretty good. You need the bar resting on your back, not sliding down. A really hard upper back will definitely allow for more weight.

Yes, absolutely never bench thumbless, but since the bar doesn't move on the squat (you do) it's perfectly safe and better for the arms, wrist, etc. It will definitely allow the wrist to straighten.

DeadLift. This is tricky as the back angle varies a lot from person to person but it sounds like you have the main instruction down. I'm pretty sure your hips are too low in the start position. Here it is again:
    1) make sure the bar is over the middle of your foot. It's a narrow stance-- like for a vertical jump. Toes out
    2) Bend over, keeping your legs straight and grab the bar as narrow as possible while remaining outside your legs.
    3) Bend and knees until your shins touch the bar. Knees angle out to touch elbows
    4) Eyes down with head in neutral spine position (don't look up at the wall). Eyes down looking down at floor and out about 12 ft. in front
    5) Chest up without lowering hips.
    6) Big chest, big breath. Tight, tight, tight back and torso. Do not let back flex at all.

The only time someone would need to lower their hips is if they are higher than the shoulders, so try bending over with straight legs, grabbing the bar, bending the knees and not lowering your hips. Drive down through your feet, straightening your knees until the bar clears them as you come up then you open your hips and finish the pull.

Right, that helps a lot, thanks. I've tried the thumb on top on the low position for the squats, and it feels a lot more comfortable, but for some reason my wrist still seems to bend almost perpendicular to the ground. Do you know how to solve this?

Also, for shoes which would you recommend for less than $50? I'm considering Chuck Taylors or some wrestling shoes, but I can't make up my mind.

Thanks so much, I'll post another vid when it gets heavier.

I'm not sure, but is he setting up properly in the DL? This is a pretty light weight, so it's hard to tell.

starting strength coach development program
    When you DL, wear long pants or long shorts + high socks. This is because the bar should stay in contact with your legs all the way up, and you will scrape up your legs if you DL in short shorts. Your weight is too far forward at setup, and you are pushing the bar away with your arms to get around the knees. The bar should actually come up in a completely straight line while you move your knees out of the way. When the weight gets heavy, the bar will have to be straight, and you will bash your knees with the way you are lifting now. Stand all the way up at the top--you’re not completing the lift.

I prefer wrestling shoes to Chucks, though WL shoes are best. Wei-Ruis are cheaper than most: http://www.maxbarbell.com/collection...tlifting-shoes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast