starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check after deload

Default Squat form check after deload

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I've been doing SS for about 2 months and recently hit the wall at 275 and am doing my first squat deload. I video all my work sets and constantly try to work on form, but I figured this would be a good time for a form check.

This is the 3rd work set of 230lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naLjtMNNyyU

Thanks.

Looks pretty good to me. Back is straight, head is down, your are going to parallel, perhaps a bit below. We can't see your stance, or where your knees end up from this angle. We also can't get a good look at where the bar is resting on your shoulders. But what we can see looks pretty good to me!

Why drop all the way to 230?

Why drop all the way to 230?
    I don't have any good scientific reason for the number. I did 275 5x3, moved up to 280 and only got 5 reps. Next workout I dropped back to 275 and only got 8 total reps. The next workout I only got 9. I dropped down to 230 after experimenting a bit as that seemed to be the weight where the bar speed started to slow down quite a bit. 230 is about 15% of 275, that's too far down you think? If so, I can easily jump 10lbs for a workout or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by newguy32 View Post
    I don't have any good scientific reason for the number. I did 275 5x3, moved up to 280 and only got 5 reps. Next workout I dropped back to 275 and only got 8 total reps. The next workout I only got 9. I dropped down to 230 after experimenting a bit as that seemed to be the weight where the bar speed started to slow down quite a bit. 230 is about 15% of 275, that's too far down you think? If so, I can easily jump 10lbs for a workout or 2.
    Usually a 10% deload is what we do around here, unless you were really starting to overtrain.

You don't lose much by going up slow. My biggest setbacks have been from being too greedy. Give your body time to get you over that wall in my honest opinion.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post
    You don't lose much by going up slow. My biggest setbacks have been from being too greedy. Give your body time to get you over that wall in my honest opinion.
    As Carlos said, 10% is standard, but Stevey is right too, going a bit slow seems like a good way to go. Both the first time and on the resets. Besides, 5# jumps, 3 times a week? You'll be back to 275 in two weeks. I would try 2.5# jumps when you get to 265 and really slow it down for that last 10 pounds. You'll be at 280 in no time.