starting strength gym

Thread: SS with 2, rather than 1, rest days?

Question SS with 2, rather than 1, rest days?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey all. This isn't me looking for advice so much as just seeing if anyone else here cares to share a similar experience akin to that in which I am engaged presently.

Brief history:
    I did SS a while back, progressed well and moved onto the TM. All was well, then I broke my ankle. Cut forward past recovery and a second surgery, and I am now progressing through SS again.

Due to a multitude of factors, I ended up programming SS for every third day (hence, Monday Squat/press/clean, thursday Squat/bench/dead et al.)

This is working out very well for me so far. I am at weights that I previously needed to switch over to the TM for, without yet necessitating even a light squat day. The extra day of rest between the workouts really helps keep progress going on the squat, and every thing else seems to be progressing fine as well. It also seems to be helping with the fact that I don't always get to eat as well as I would like, which manifested in notable impedance the last two times I ran through a novice program (yay injuries!)

Once I stall out I'll need to re-evaluate with time concerns to consider and see if I can effectively program to milk out novice progression or switch to some kind of intermediate scheme, but I was just curious if anyone had success programming with rest periods similar to mine?
    Last edited by Roland Conde; 05-14-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: clarification of a point.

A key point of any well thought out programming is to build in meaningful recovery for the stresses that are applied. There is nothing magical about a M-W-F routine other than scheduling a routine to fit real life. You found your sweet spot for steady performance gains by coordinating the recovery timing for your needs. Well done. The only issue I see is if you don't have access to a gym when your training falls on a Sunday, holiday or some other non-typical gym time. Then you adjust, no biggie.

how much are you lifting out of curiousity? im currently on tm but im cutting, i think after i want to try to switch back over to ss and try for some more linear progress, im not sure if it would be worth the time though.

Dsp, as of my last workout:
    Squat 255
    Deadlift 277.5
    Bench 185
    Press 140
    Clean 50kg+5lb
    Bodyweight 195

Luckily my gym has pretty good hours.
    Last edited by Roland Conde; 05-16-2011 at 03:05 AM. Reason: fixed weight

are you microloading as well, and is your weight changing at a steady pace?

I switched to intermediate programming because I didn't want to microload. I'd keep with it, seeing as you're probably still increasing weight on the bar more than me in the same 1 month period. if you want pants that fit, I'd let the squat drag along a bit... just a thought

So long as you don't miss any workouts, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Of course, it throws you off of a 7-day schedule, which is the framework of most programs. But if you can deal with that, go for it.

Yeah, the only thing that was weird at first was throwing off the 7 day bit, but it works perfectly for me so far.

I do microload the press (2.5 lb jumps currently), and will microload the bench and clean whenever the time comes for it. I might reprogram if the time comes where I can't make 5lb jumps on the squat. I jump 7.5 lbs on the dead currently.

EDIT: Regarding weight: It's been going up slowly but steadily. When i started I was around 180 or 175, I forget exactly which. I eat less clean now than I did when I started, just to make sure I get enough calories. I anticipate needing new clothing soon, as anything not elastic is already being less than friendly. Losing weight can be done later; I find as long as I keep the carbs down I am as slim as I care to try to be.

Might I inquire why you didn't want to microload, dsp?
    Last edited by Roland Conde; 05-16-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added a bit

Nice, your press is damn strong for a 3x5 (I just did a single of that for a 1rm..) at least in my standards.

I didn't microload because my ego didn't let me. It's also brutally hard to find decently priced fractional plates. I also didn't exactly fancy the idea of using them on weights that were small anyways, in front of my friends. really lame excuses really. either way, im having success on the texas method as of late, so not all is lost. it's just slower gains

Thank you sir ^.^ I do love pressing.

Fair enough on your points.

Micro plates would probably still be a fair pick up, as you'll be able to utilize them at some point I imagine. I picked some up from the rogue fitness website. The one's I have are no longer sold there, but these are probably better anyways: http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-fr...plates-lbs.php

Before I picked them up, for monetary reasons, I used the following to great effect: http://stronglifts.com/madcow/Topics/Microloading.htm. If I remember correctly a full set was like 10 bucks at home depot.

I'm very happy I invested in some actual micro plates though.

starting strength coach development program
    the chains sound like a good idea that i'll invest in. the tiny plates just don't look manly, chains look badass and i can wear them around my neck and arms after i set a pr.