starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: deadlift form critique

Default deadlift form critique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I know there are a million 'form check' vids, but here is one more. I'm relatively new to deadlift and would love the advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFk7UYqiGhw

The weight is so light it's not really worth a form check.

interesting comment skills101. so if its a light weight at the beginning of a program then i should just say 'fuuck form' and pick it up? is this not where you learn proper form, when its a light weight. cause once it gets heavy and you screw up, you blow your back out.

thanks for the comment.

blavis, have you read the deadlift chapter in SS?

You're sliding the bar around your knees on the way up and also on the way down, so you need to stop doing that and get your knees out of the way. Once the bar clears your knees on the way up, speed up your hip extension so that the hips and knees finish locking out in sync.

You need to set up with your shoulders a little more forward. Your arms should not hang down vertically, but rather at a slight angle back into your body.

Hurry up and get your deadlift to 135 so you can stop deadlifting in the power rack.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    blavis, have you read the deadlift chapter in SS?

You're sliding the bar around your knees on the way up and also on the way down, so you need to stop doing that and get your knees out of the way. Once the bar clears your knees on the way up, speed up your hip extension so that the hips and knees finish locking out in sync.

You need to set up with your shoulders a little more forward. Your arms should not hang down vertically, but rather at a slight angle back into your body.

Hurry up and get your deadlift to 135 so you can stop deadlifting in the power rack.
    I have read it, but I don't have a perfect memory and I AM NEW TO THIS LIFT. thats why im posting, cause I don't know the small details that you mentioned. and the weight will go up, ive been a distance runner my entire life therefore the weight is light.

thanks for the advice. i will read the chapter again before next wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by blavis View Post
    interesting comment skills101. so if its a light weight at the beginning of a program then i should just say 'fuuck form' and pick it up? is this not where you learn proper form, when its a light weight. cause once it gets heavy and you screw up, you blow your back out.

thanks for the comment.
    Well, you probably had as bad form when you did 95 pounds. What made you take the daring leap to attempt 115 pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    Well, you probably had as bad form when you did 95 pounds. What made you take the daring leap to attempt 115 pounds?
    lol. why you got your panties in bunch? what do you not understand about this is a new lift for me and i am trying to learn the proper way to do it. let me guess, the first time you deadlifted you did 500lbs with perfect form. am i right?

i thought the point of this forum was to assist others in their quest to get stronger. have anymore garbage to spit out?

Quote Originally Posted by blavis View Post
    lol. why you got your panties in bunch? what do you not understand about this is a new lift for me and i am trying to learn the proper way to do it. let me guess, the first time you deadlifted you did 500lbs with perfect form. am i right?

i thought the point of this forum was to assist others in their quest to get stronger. have anymore garbage to spit out?
    Sure.

You are lifting with a small diameter plate. You attempt to make up for it by lifting in the rack, but from my eye the height is not correct. Therefore, any advice people give you is not reproducible when you adjust the bar height. You can easily correct it by not being a pussy about blowing out your back and lifting at least a proper 135.

Therefore, you, sir, are a jerk for expecting people to assist you with a lift that we will need to re-evaluate when you decide to man up and lift with a proper diameter plate. On top of it all, it looks like you failed to read the DL chapter, as Mike noted. The concepts are fairly self-explanatory, and you seem to have missed some of them.

Not to mention, many of these bar path issues correct themselves when you actually lift a heavy bar. But, if you'd prefer to spend forever in the early 100's making sure your form is spot-on and to spare your oh-so precious back.... then by all means...
    Last edited by skills101; 05-18-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    Sure.

You are lifting with a small diameter plate. You attempt to make up for it by lifting in the rack, but from my eye the height is not correct. Therefore, any advice people give you is not reproducible when you adjust the bar height. You can easily correct it by not being a pussy about blowing out your back and lifting at least a proper 135.

Therefore, you, sir, are a jerk for expecting people to assist you with a lift that we will need to re-evaluate when you decide to man up and lift with a proper diameter plate. On top of it all, it looks like you failed to read the DL chapter, as Mike noted. The concepts are fairly self-explanatory, and you seem to have missed some of them.

Not to mention, many of these bar path issues correct themselves when you actually lift a heavy bar. But, if you'd prefer to spend forever in the early 100's making sure your form is spot-on and to spare your oh-so precious back.... then by all means...
    your right, the height is bout 1/4 inch off. you, sir, have a super calibrated eye ball.

this is the second time ive done this lift man. i was simply wanting some pointers. i understand things will change as the bar gets heavier. but i simply wanted to know if i was even on the right effing track. either way, i am going to follow the recommended 15lbs increase a week and in two weeks i'll post another video. is that acceptable?

also, i dont have a photographic memory. do you? how long have you been deadlifting? exactly... ive read the DL chapter, but dont have a coach or partner to work out with to correct my form. hence the video.

starting strength coach development program
    unless you are the largest 8 year old I have ever seen. You should start with 135. Haha.

Give us a video doing 135.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast