starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redmond Recap (Eastside S&C)

Default Redmond Recap (Eastside S&C)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The trip to Seattle started off with a different feel this last weekend thanks in large part to Jim Moser venturing off his Hawaiian Island to join us and run a great night of weightlifting at Eastside S&C in Redmond. Jim coached three full platforms that consisted of competitive weightlifters of all levels from Fulcrum BB Club. The pace was fast and everyone stepped up their game as they went to heavy singles in the Front Squat, Snatch, and Clean and Jerk. To watch Jim give quick, useful cues that would click with the lifter on his or her next attempt was a lot of fun to watch. We’re certainly all the better in some part for watching and working with him. Thanks so much Jim for coming out. There are some great pictures on Fulcrum BB’s Facebook page and on Eastside S&C site: http://eastsidesc.com/.

It’s been a while since we’ve been to Seattle and it was great to return to Eastside where Michael and Carrie continue to build the local strength and weightlifting community along with running conditioning classes that compliment, rather than hinder, useful barbell training. As usual, Russell the coffee runner took very good care of us and made sure we were all properly caffeinated (although not even close to what his usual intake is.)

Our trips to Redmond always prompt good discussions as the group is often littered with tekkies and lifters with all experience levels. We even had a reformed Yoga instructor who made her husband start training with her! I hear you’ll be visiting Tom C this weekend in Oakland Terrence, keep up the good work! It was great having Jenny the firefighter back who could actually squat this time without her post surgery shoulder screaming in pain. Our regular poster, SaraSaraT, finally got her form checks in real time and improved greatly throughout the weekend. She also happens to be one cool chick who will hopefully follow up and come on down to train in Texas soon. Right??? Right!!!

The Q&A on Sunday (my favorite part of the weekend in case I haven’t said it at least 25 times) was one of the best. Of course the usual questions came up strength programming with CF/P90x style workouts; equipment challenges; and the best way to train alone or in a globo gym. However; one of my favorite comments came from our coach, Matt Reynolds, when asked about gaining weight for strength. To paraphrase, when addressing the concern by some in the crowd about gaining body fat he said this, “Look, you’re not going to eat and train and wake up in a couple months looking like me.” Meaning, just eat and train and good things will happen. The Bigg guys who compete at a high level are working very hard to be close to 300 pounds. The average 160 pound dude who needs to gain 20-40 pounds is not at risk of randomly waking up and looking like a ginormous, useful competitor. So do us all a favor and eat lots and train hard. Right??? Right!!!

Thanks again to Carrie and Michael for the hospitality and especially Jim Moser for joining us for the weekend. It was a treat hearing his stories and learning from his experiences. Thanks to all of you who came out. As always, keep us posted on how your training and coaching progress. Let us know if you have competitions coming up and how it goes. If you’re thinking of signing up for an upcoming seminar, do it now. Canadia is sold out and both WFAC and Brooklyn are selling fast. So sign up now and we'll see you soon.

jp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the recap, Juli! What an amazing experience... and you know I am going to get out to WFAC and take you up on that training offer. I took your advice to heart and went straight back to the gym and started KILLING my cleans. Thank you for that.

Seriously, if people still wonder whether they should attend a seminar, the answer is easy: YESSSSSS!!!!!

Right indeed.

Default Wow!

Wow, what a busy weekend. My hats off to Rip, his team and Carrie and Michael the owwners of Eastside S&C. I have never seen a group work so hard and productive together. I have been in the health and fitness industry for over 25 years and I was able to take away some great information to share with my trainers at our health clubs here on Maui. I would recommend the Starting Strength Seminar to anyone interested in barbell training, getting strong and coaching others to do the same.

The highlight of the weekend for me was working with Michaels Olympic Weightlifting team on Thursday evening. His lifters were very well coached, disciplined and strong. I see nothing but great things ahead for this group of weightlifters. The group performed very well and with the help of Rip and Michael the group made some phenominal progress. I was able to take the group through a very fast paced, high intensity, low volume workout. I would work with the athletes on the platform and Rip would coach the lifters on technique in between their sets. I stopped counting PR's at 20.

This was my first Starting Strength Seminar and it was a honor to be Rips guest. Rips methods are very practical and his lectures take barbell training down to a level everyone can understand and apply. Stef's lecture on adaption and programing was brilliant. I was continually impressed all weekend. Michael and Carrie are a class act and have a first class facility at Eastside S&C. There caring personal touch seperates them from all the other facilities in the Redmond area. Thanks guys the weekend was great.

Aloha,
    Jim Moser

While I am a bit late, I have some pictures from the event. It was, once again, an excellent weekend filled with well delivered information. Street and Carrie were wonderful hosts and the participants were a motivated group. I look forward to hearing about their successes with the lifts in the near future. I have about 30 photos from the event. They can be found at:

http://tomcampitelli.zenfolio.com/p561759128

Here are a few of them for your enjoyment as well:

Thanks for sharing your pictures, Tom!!

wow, thanks for the pictures. i am still a yoga teacher (so not completely reformed) just a heck of a lot stronger now.

I am glad both of you liked the photos. It was a great seminar.

i am still a yoga teacher (so not completely reformed) just a heck of a lot stronger now.
    That's why I said "reformed" and not "former." A yoga instructor who understands the importance of strength training is valuable. Keep up the great work!

jp

starting strength coach development program
    Guys (and gals),

This is a late replay to this thread, but I had a blast making my first trip to the PacNW! You all did great! Would love to stay in touch with you who took the seminar and hear about your training and coaching progress. Shoot me a PM and let me know how its going!

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast