Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for Krav Maga Seminar in Austin, TX

Default Preparing for Krav Maga Seminar in Austin, TX

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, Ladies/Gents..
    I'm in need of advice

I'm currently pursuing the novice program and am enjoying my gains. However, on July 2nd - July 3rd, I'm going to be attending a Israeli Krav Maga IDF seminar in Austin, Texas.

Noticeably, I need to work on flexibility and conditioning. I was wondering on how I can possibly program this into my lifts in order to be fully prepared by July 2nd? I'm wanting to maintain these lifts, but add other accessories too.

My ideas are incorporating shuttle runs, stair runs, high intensity interval training, tire flips, sled runs, and sledge hammer drills, and a few swimming drills (dynamic apnea). Maybe changing squats to one or two times a week, and set/rep level to 3x3 as opposed to 3x5's? And for deadlift, maybe every other week? My ideas sound a bit sketchy....

Sounds a little to fancy? I think not. I'm probably stressing a bit too much about this seminar, but one of the greatest Krav Maga trainers of our time is going to be hosting this so I would not want to let him down by my shitty performance. On July 3rd, he's going to be selecting a select few individuals for a special session, I would like to be one of those people.

Is it a seminar or a "seminar"? Will you be learning through typical hear, see, do methods or going through the all-out Krav Maga beatdown training?

If you're going to be doing some of the hands-on of beating people over the head with finesse in this seminar, what you are doing sounds fine with the possible exception of the tire flips. I've always been leery of those because of the potential injury factor of dealing with odd objects. Screwing up a finger, wrist, or back from an unforeseen bounce or slip would limit your abilities at that seminar considerably no matter what martial art it is. Give a read to Matt Reynolds' Building an Empire article here. His advice for football programs and conditioning has a lot of application to martial arts as self defense (as opposed to refereed fighting in a ring). His take on intervals and how long they need to last is pretty good. You might want to use that as a guideline for your own conditioning efforts.

There is nothing you can do to prepare yourself for Jew-Jitsu....

On a more serious note, it's a little over a month away. You're paying him for a weekend of instruction. Don't worry too much for peaking for something like this. I'd go in the shape I would expect to be in day to day if I had to utilize those chosen peoples elite killing techniques. That way I'd learn what I need to take a more serious/long term look at and improve on.

If you want to sharpen up a bit, thats one thing, and your main concern, as Mr.Hurling said, is to not get hurt. Run some sprints, focus on your diet a little better, etc. Don't go crazy on this. The pool stuff sounds fun. Do that. As long as you avoid drowning it's hard to get injured.

Never jip your squats. Ever...Train, recover, repeat. good luck!
    Last edited by ZKP; 05-19-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Sounds awesome--who's the instructor?

I went through a one-day Krav seminar a few years back & wished I was in better shape conditioning-wise.

A lot of the Krav guys swear by the the Bas Rutten CD's--they're tough.

I trained in KM for about a year, BJJ for several years and wrestled for most of my life. Just continue to lift and throw in 20-25 minutes of intervals at the end of training, then stretch well. Nothing too hard that it compromises recovery. Also, do some pushups, situps and jumping jacks for your warmup. Add weekly to the numbers to get to 50/50/200. Don't worry about impressing anyone, but it is wise to be physically ready so you get the most out of the training. Are you training KM now?

Quote Originally Posted by f4thpathway View Post
    Is it a seminar or a "seminar"? Will you be learning through typical hear, see, do methods or going through the all-out Krav Maga beatdown training?
    We will be learning, and be going through some serious training.

Quote Originally Posted by ZKP View Post
    There is nothing you can do to prepare yourself for Jew-Jitsu....

On a more serious note, it's a little over a month away. You're paying him for a weekend of instruction. Don't worry too much for peaking for something like this. I'd go in the shape I would expect to be in day to day if I had to utilize those chosen peoples elite killing techniques. That way I'd learn what I need to take a more serious/long term look at and improve on.

If you want to sharpen up a bit, thats one thing, and your main concern, as Mr.Hurling said, is to not get hurt. Run some sprints, focus on your diet a little better, etc. Don't go crazy on this. The pool stuff sounds fun. Do that. As long as you avoid drowning it's hard to get injured.

Never jip your squats. Ever...Train, recover, repeat. good luck!
    Yeah, this really make sense. I think I'm just over-complicating situations by adding tire flips and sledge hammer drills. I think I might as well just stick to basic sprints (shuttle runs, stair runs) and jump roping.

Quote Originally Posted by drlvegas View Post
    Sounds awesome--who's the instructor?

I went through a one-day Krav seminar a few years back & wished I was in better shape conditioning-wise.

A lot of the Krav guys swear by the the Bas Rutten CD's--they're tough.
    The trainer is Roy Elghanayan. If you're in Texas, you should attend this seminar!

Quote Originally Posted by D_51 View Post
    I trained in KM for about a year, BJJ for several years and wrestled for most of my life. Just continue to lift and throw in 20-25 minutes of intervals at the end of training, then stretch well. Nothing too hard that it compromises recovery. Also, do some pushups, situps and jumping jacks for your warmup. Add weekly to the numbers to get to 50/50/200. Don't worry about impressing anyone, but it is wise to be physically ready so you get the most out of the training. Are you training KM now?
    I'm actually not training KM right now, which is making me kind of nervous. I like your idea of cardio and basic calisthenics after I lift. Would you recommend me to stretch after my cardio or right before it? Also, how frequently would you recommend me to do cardio in the week? I'm just afraid my squats are going to stall.....

A respectable Kravist expects to crush students. It happens. In fact, the harder you are the harder you'll be tested. In the end it is the same for everyone with the exception of the extremely weak of body and mind. I have never known anyone, at any level, who has had an easy bit of KM instruction. Its a military art. So like all things military, be positive, keep getting back up, suck it up, and respect the instructor and you'll do fine. Being able to quickly recover and having solid stamina will make it easier on you, your attitude will make you more appreciated and enjoyable to train.

Quote Originally Posted by BicepCurlsAreForFags View Post
    I'm actually not training KM right now, which is making me kind of nervous. I like your idea of cardio and basic calisthenics after I lift. Would you recommend me to stretch after my cardio or right before it? Also, how frequently would you recommend me to do cardio in the week? I'm just afraid my squats are going to stall.....
    I wasn't going to get into this initially, I decided to simply answer your question. Since I have a little more information and some comments from others to spark some further reflection I'll offer this up for your own reflection and consideration. Why are you doing this art? Is it strictly for self defense? Because if it is, armed and unarmed self defense engagements are over in well under a minute no matter what you see on TV or the movies. Mostly less than 15 seconds for that matter. The bottom line is I suppose, prepare yourself for what you think the demands of this seminar will be. But the reality of the requirements for conditioning for the real world are quite different. Only one of my fights as a cop went over a minute and that was because I was a young rookie and thought my sgt. knew what he was doing. The skills this particular art teaches seem sound and solid from what I have seen and heard from others who practice it, but some of the physical conditioning expectations are overblown. Unless of course you are in the IDF and have run out of ammunition, lost your knife, and are a couple of miles away from support by others. I've never been in a combat zone, and unless you are expecting to be in one, keep in mind the reality of the engagements you are most likely to encounter. Still and all you don't want to embarass yourself by hurling at this event so get ready.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Because if it is, armed and unarmed self defense engagements are over in well under a minute no matter what you see on TV or the movies. Mostly less than 15 seconds for that matter.
    And if it isn't, you're likely going to get into trouble. The longer and engagement is prolonged the more chance you have of getting hurt. The point of learning the stuff is to end things as quickly as possible, not so you can stand there and trade blows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast