starting strength gym

Thread: Starr Model in PP: Seamus Queeze version

Default Starr Model in PP: Seamus Queeze version

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

any experience using this model? As written on pages 185-187 in Practical Programming, this program alternates light, heavy and medium on 3 nonconsecutive days per week. In the Intermediate chapter though, this model is proposed as medium, heavy, light (but still done 3 nonconsecutive days per week).

Main question: Is there any difference? Has anyone tried either of these? What is your experience with the Starr Model in general?

I've run the Texas Method before, but am looking for something a bit new...

Stats:
    5'9
    205lbs (not particularly lean)

Best lifts:
    squat 425x5
    deadlift 425x4
    Bench 225x6
    Press 170x1

I've used it before for my squat, though my numbers are nowhere near yours. The order of the days does make a difference (but not a huge one). Assuming you lift MWF, you'll probably want to use one of heavy-light-medium, or light-heavy-medium, or medium-light-heavy. I used the first one, but if I was to do it over, I would use the third one. The overriding criterion for which order you choose is whichever gives you the best chance of making all your reps on the heavy day for the longest amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    I've used it before for my squat, though my numbers are nowhere near yours. The order of the days does make a difference (but not a huge one). Assuming you lift MWF, you'll probably want to use one of heavy-light-medium, or light-heavy-medium, or medium-light-heavy. I used the first one, but if I was to do it over, I would use the third one. The overriding criterion for which order you choose is whichever gives you the best chance of making all your reps on the heavy day for the longest amount of time.
    thanks for your reply. What did your rep range look like? Were the heavy days fairly variable (heavy triples one week, 5rm next week etc) or did they stay about the same?

Heavy days were always 3 sets of 5, adding 5 lbs each week. Light and medium days were 2 sets of 5, at 80% and 90% respectively of that week's heavy poundage.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    at 80% and 90% respectively of that week's heavy poundage.
    awesome - that was going to be my next question!