starting strength gym

Thread: go back and try to exhaust lp? or go tm?

Default go back and try to exhaust lp? or go tm?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I'm 19, and have been a lightweight rower for the past 3 or 4 years. I think i'm going to get out of the sport as I don't think i'll make it to an elite level, and I am losing enjoyment. Anyway, I'd been following 5/3/1 for a while on it, then a period of a few months of 3x5 once a week per lift increasing when I could. My lifts from this week (at 76 kg bodyweight):

Squat: 3x5@122.5
    Bench: 3x5@80
    Press: (following 5/3/1): 9@45
    Deadlift: 150 for 3
    Power Clean: 5x2@85

I'm also playing around with the o lifts, because they're cool, and improving my conditioning. Now I got to these numbers whilst not eating (the joys of being a weight class athlete), and now that I can actually eat, I was wondering if I'd be able to milk ss for a while, or should just go to tm.

Would I be too strong for ss and sort of be wasting my time? I intend to add in a sub 10 min conditioning session post lifting, and another intense session either once or twice a week. I want to be a well rounded athlete tbh - awesome at everything. sounds a bit stupid I know.

Thanks in advance

At your age I'd probably run regular novice SS for a while. You don't have to run it all that long. I still go back (well, as far back as advanced novice) a few times every year and start with a reset and make sure I eat enough for a few weeks.

Go for novice program man. At those numbers at your age and the addition of proper nutrition, you should be able to make some serious gains still. You want to do the novice progression as long as possible since it's the only and last time you will be make gains on a session by session basis. Weekly intermediate is slow-- don't go there until you have to.

The conditioning is a fine idea. At 76 kg, you are quite light. I agree with the others. If you are willing to put on some muscle, you could certainly do SS and make some nice progress.

You have a lot of room to go with SS. As an example, you should be able to bench more than your weight for 3x5.

I didn't realize that you listed your lifts in KG's. Try LP and eat more and see what happens.

starting strength coach development program
    haha yes if those lifts were in pounds there'd be no question of going to tm.

i'm going to go down to a weightlifting club next week and get some technique work done on the lifts, as I think that's the major weak point for me.

I was thinking of this re programming whilst including the o lifts and conditioning:

Monday:
    Snatch to feel - not too heavy
    Squat 2x5,1xMax (ie greyskull lp)
    Press: (probably use 5/3/1 progression - is working well for me right now)
    Chins: 3x5 weighted
    Core work

Tuesday:
    Conditioning work - no more than 40 mins total including warm up and down. Was doing sprints, but is affecting my groin.

Wednesday:
    Power Clean: 5x3 or 6x2
    Bench Press: 3x5
    Snatch tech work
    Core work
    Sub 10 min conditioning work

Thursday off

Friday:
    Squat: 2x5,1xMax (greyskull again)
    Press: 5/3/1 progression
    Deadlift: 1 heavy set of 3-5
    Chins