starting strength gym

Thread: Help me get ready to restart please...

Default Help me get ready to restart please...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I'm a barbell noob who started SS back in January and DTP for a while. Then one day I was rushed, shortened my warmup before squatting, my hamstrings tightened up at the bottom, my lower back rounded and some pain developed right at my sacrum. It didn't go away despite rest and nursing it so I was out for two months and started picking up weights again a few weeks back.

So here's where I need help:
    Between the kids and work I won't have enough time on weekdays during the summer for full SS sessions until school starts up in August. And there's other life stuff happening between now and then that would interfere with programming. In the fall however I'll have lots of time.

So my thinking was to take a few months of doing the lifts and try for a decent re-start point for doing the program and LP. I think I'll have enough time in the day to do two lifts, and time permitting, a bodyweight exercise that doesn't require setup/teardown or warmups.

Something like:
    Tue: Squat, Press, (Pullups)
    Thu: Squat, Bench, (Dips)
    Sat: Squat, Deadlift, Powerclean

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

How much time are you thinking it should take to DTP? It doesn't seem like that much of a time savings to do pullups vs deads or PC. Particularly if you do 3 sets of pullups or dips? For instance on deadlift day, I do 3-4 warm up sets of 1-5 reps with very little rest. Then I rest a bit and do the one set of 5 and thats it. Maybe you're taking too long on your warm up sets?

Possibly, but I want to lift when my body says "OK, lets go", not when the big hand has moved a certain distance. Rushing through because I had to be somewhere is how I ended up losing several months.

I have to work out in the mornings before work, and I'm not willing to get up at 5am to work out just to get started now rather than in 2 months.

And that's beside the programming issue where I will probably miss many workouts over the summer because of other stuff going on.

In my limited experience, I think your program would be ok, especially if you'll be doing the full program in 2 months. I brought up the rest time because that was my experience when I started. The first few weeks I was in and out in about an hour, but once its started to get "heavy" it started taking 2+ hours. After a couple weeks of that I got tired of it taking so long and began speeding up my warm ups. Now I still do a quite a few warm up sets, but with very little rest and my final warm up sets aren't quite as high as they had been.

Just from looking at my own experience, the difference between 3 sets of pullups and 3x5 PC would be around 15 minutes.

On second thought, once your deads get heavy, you may not like trying to PC afterwards. However, you can determine that. If you are set on doing the deads and PC on sat, you could just alternate week to week, or temporarily drop the PCs until your schedule changes.

Yeah I thought about that, but then I thought that it'd be worse to DL after PC :-)

My hamstrings are very tight unless I'm thoroughly warmed up, so from when I walk in to the gym until I start my squat working set is about 30 minutes. I don't think I can cut that down much. Some people can get away with just walking in and squatting for warmups, unfortunately I'm not one of them.

Thanks,

Squat, DL, PC will not work. I can barely DL on my squat days. Power Cleans, too? Hell no. They're an explosive lift. How are you supposed to explode when you're totally gassed? That's how you hurt yourself.

So switch Press/PC around?

Tue: Squat, Powerclean, (Pullups)
    Sat: Squat, Press, Deadlift

My experience is limited, but that seems pretty reasonable to me.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SixSC View Post
    So switch Press/PC around?

Tue: Squat, Powerclean, (Pullups)
    Sat: Squat, Press, Deadlift
    Now also switch you pullups and dips. Bench and dips are both pushes and PC and pullups are both pulls. My pull/chin attempts after PC are pretty sad.

You might also get away with pairing press and dips. They both hit your triceps hard but they hit your chest and shoulders differently.