starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokn's log of linear milk progression

Default Smokn's log of linear milk progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Howdy all, I'm 20, 6'0'', 155 lbs, and about 5% body fat. I've messed around with lifting in the past but mostly concerned myself with cardio: first gym machines, then P90X (no laughs), then a very intense 7 hours a week at a MMA gym, and finally training for a 10K. In any event, I found myself more than proficient cardio-wise, but lacking in the muscular strength area. I stumbled across stronglifts, and like so many other people with half a brain, arrived here, at the source of the good ideas. Fortunately, I was only on the stronglifts program for a few weeks. My previous 1RM's before any of this were 180 bench, 255 deadlift (actually, the day after I learned the technique), and a paltry 135 clean (my technique is severely lacking to say the least). I ordered the book a few weeks ago and in the mean time, integrated my previous knowledge with a skeleton of SS that I gathered from this website, whether for good or bad. That being said, my current working weights are:

Squat: 140
    Bench: 105
    Row: 110
    Press: 95
    Deadlift: 195

Yes, I know I jumped weights in odd orders, probably where I shouldn't have at times but here I am nonetheless. I got the book 2 days ago and am almost done with it (jumping around, just gotta finish up powercleans and assistance exercises). I may or may not leave row's in place of pc's as I lack bumper plates (home gym). Nothing is very challenging yet with the exception of the press, as is to be expected.

My diet is obviously one with the goal to bulk. I have been drinking a half gallon of milk a day along with lots of eggs and a fair amount of meat. My protein intake is consistently 200+g, with a caloric total bouncing b/w 3500-4500. However, I haven't seen much in the order of gains so I guess I'll do the unthinkable and actually follow the program as prescribed, starting with a whole gallon today.

It has been very difficult to convince myself to sacrifice the cardio exercise I enjoy so much and the long distance running capability I now possess, but as bulking is hard enough already, I understand that it has to go for the most part, thus I dropped it 2 weeks ago.

My form is improving drastically with every page I read of Mark's book (I really didn't think it could be that valuable, but it's the best frikn' $30 I ever spent on fitness), but I'm sure it's still wanting in many areas. I'll post form videos up if I have any other questions after finishing the book. One other comment, I tend to have back pain after deadlifts which I can easily trace back to an injury a few years old. Hopefully it will not be a serious detriment to heavy progress. Only time will tell.

Please forgive this lengthy prelude of logorrhea and feel free to criticize and advise anything I say and do, it's always welcome.

A+ thread title, I'll be following your log just 'cause of that. If you're concerned about your abs, I'd go half-gallon milk (mostly drank in the morning and after workout) and up the lean ground beef, or half-gallon on non-workout days. Calories should be near the 4,000 mark though, as I expect your metabolism is through the roof.. and you're at 5% BF, which is scary as fuck. you know what? fuck what i said, drink 2 gallons.

Haha, I made a comment to my doc about an inability to gain weight and that's what he said, my body composition makes my metabolism so frikn high I can't gain weight even with a normal bulk diet, thus I'm pulling no punches now. And I'm not too concerned with my abs, I've got a the makings of a 6 pack now, but I don't mind if it disappears for a while for the sake of real strength.

Default Workout #15 (since starting SL's, I guess I'll count from there)

Squat
    45X5X2
    65X5X1
    95X3X1
    130X1X1
    145X5X3

Bench
    45X5X2
    65X5X1
    85X5X1
    100X5X1
    115X5X3

PC
    45X3X2 (hang)
    45X3X1
    50X3X5

So it turns out I'm pretty much the world's weakest squatter, but the gains are coming fast so it's no problem. It's very strange how a few weeks ago, 115 seemed pretty tough and I thought 130 was going to be my first stall (I know, pretty sorry), but now 145 seems only marginally tougher. Newb gains rock! I set my macbook up and record basically every set for review before the next (advantages of a home gym), which has led me to realize that, as the sets get heavy, I rarely go below parallel. I'm usually about flush or an inch above. In any event, it's a mental block where I think I won't be able to drive up from a whole that deep. Perhaps it calls for some de-loading in the near future if I can't fix it otherwise. Other than that, I feel my form is improving rapidly.

Bench was easy, as usual. This was my first bench workout after reading the book, and I feel my form is substantially better, especially in regards to my back arch, straight wrist, and lack of bridging now.

As is obvious, I decided to knock out rows and replace them with PC's after I read the chapter and was enlightened as to the benefit of explosive power in the sports world. It would betray my callow nature to say I thought my form was good, so I won't. However, it does seem to be improving rapidly. It's amazing how much easier an exercise is to learn when you learn it right the first time, unadulterated by previous misguidance (unlike my squat and bench press). In any event, it's a lot of fun to perform and a nice refresher at the end of a workout.

On a side note, day one of GOMAD went pretty well, gained almost a pound in one day. Time to get serious about this diet thing and stop jacking around.

Default Workout #16

Squat
    45X5X2
    85X5X1
    105X3X1
    135X2X1
    150X5X3 PR

Press
    45X5X2
    65X5X1
    85X3X1
    100X5X3 PR

Deadlift
    135X3X1
    175X1X1
    205X5X1

Squats went great, much easier than 145 and my depth was parallel or below. 2 days of recovery do wonders.

Press was tough, my speed was really slow in the last 1/4 of the press. I think it's time to start microloading. I'm headed to fastenal tomorrow probably. That being said, I was psyched to hit triple digits.

Deadlifts were easy as usual, I really concentrated on my lower back and had no pain during or after.

Default Workout #17

Squat
    45X5X2
    85X5X1
    105X3X1
    135X2X1
    155X5X3 PR

Bench
    45X5X2
    65X5X1
    85X5X1
    105X4X1
    115X3X1
    125X5X3

PC
    45X3X2 (hang)
    55X3X5

First off, I didn't expect much from this workout cuz I worked yesterday (usually in school, so I don't get to during the week) and didn't get much milk in. My job is pretty demanding physically (construction, outdoors in GA). But I did better than expected.

Squats suffered a little, my depth wasn't wonderful and it was pretty tough on the last set. It would have been BWX1 but I keep gaining weight with GOMAD

Bench was still pretty easy.

PC's went well, a lot of fun.

I'll be missing Friday's workout, as I have an out of town wedding [arg]. Oh well, I'll just take full advantage of the recovery and really kill it on Monday.

While I didn't have time to lift this morning, I had just a few minutes to do something so I figured I'd try for a 1RM on press. I hit 125 and was pretty happy with it, especially considering I never trained this until about a month ago.

I'll be missing Friday's workout, as I have an out of town wedding [arg]
    Next time re-arrange your schedule so you do not miss workouts. This is something you knew well ahead of time so there is no excuses. Save missed workouts for illness (Fever) and true unplanned life emergencies (which you can usually make up the next day).

Yeah, I know I should have.

Default Workout #18

starting strength coach development program
    Squat
    45X5X2
    75X5X1
    105X5X1
    135X2X1
    160X5X3 PR 1XBW

Press
    45X5X1
    65X5X1
    85X3X1
    95X2X1
    102.5X3X5 PR

Deadlift
    135X5X1
    185X2X1
    215X5X1 PR

Squats went good, depth was better than last time but still not perfect. Exertion was pretty high, but I got em out. It was great to see 1XBW.

Presses were tough, but not impossible. Microloading was definitely the right choice.

Deadlifts were sick. Rep 1-3 weren't tough, but 4 and 5 were hell. I really want to hit 2 plates on wednesday, but I think I should switch to 5 lb increments. All in all, a good, satisfying workout.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast