starting strength gym

Thread: building explosive strength and physique

Default building explosive strength and physique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    so my goals are to build explosive strength and build a well-rounded physique. i guess you can say a combination of bodybuilding and strength training. what routine would be best for this?

I don't know but i've been told that
    "There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine, that provides the level of central nervous activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat."

Assuming you're genuinely curious and not trolling, what kind of explosive strength are you looking for ? What is your definition of a "well-rounded physique" ? What is your time frame ? What is your current level of fitness and fatness?

Obviously on this board you'll find a fair number of people who think that Starting Strength beginners program is the cat's meow when it comes to acquiring a basic level of strength and muscle mass in a relatively short period of time. There's also a few malcontents.

Don't take my response as 100% gospel, since I am new to all of this too. I have seen people do "powerbuilding" routines though, so I will just explain what I have seen.

Basically, you will run the big lifts (squat, bench, dl, ohp) normally. If you are on TM or a similar power/strength program, run it like that. You will most likely run a split routine, so you can get a few more assistance exercises in there. Do the assistance exercises in the higher rep ranges, so this supports the hypertrophy part of your program. Take a look at the Woojus Geeshman template in PPST2, and this is how you could add some explosive (dynamic effort) training to your routine as well.

In the end you would have something like this for an example day:
    Squat (Volume per TM)
    Powercleans or Speed Deads (Dynamic Effort/ Explosive Training)
    Assistance Stuff (8-12 reps per set), pick lifts to strengthen weak areas, and in your case, ones to help give you get a "well rounded physique".

MON: 8*3 for Strength
    WED: 3*15 (60%) for endurance
    FRI: 8*3 (60%) DE, strength power and endurance
    FRI / SAT: Some Tabatas (I like heavy bag, sounds like you'll like running)

Add weight, repeat.
    Fridays workout is short so you can do your conditioning afterwards, or on saturday.

MON: Deads_____ ___________Strength Squats______ bench/press/incline
    WED: Deads/bent rows_______ Rep Squats__________ Bench/press/incline
    FRI: Power Clean___________ DE Squats___________ Bench/press/incline

I made this so I can post it every-time someone says they want to do something more 'well rounded'.

-Just make endurance day into body building day (8-12rep).
    -Drop the conditioning if you don't need to cut.

In case I have to state the obvious, you will not get strong as you would on an exclusive strength program.
    Last edited by ZenGeek; 06-20-2011 at 03:10 AM.