starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teen's journey to elite.

Default Teen's journey to elite.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am not strong, yet. I will be though. I want to have the strongest Squat and Overhead Press in the world, so I thought I would log in here. I have a meet december 1st, I plan on getting ATLEAST a 405 squat in 181/198 weight class.

My only PRs that might are:
    Squat 315x3.
    OHP 142.5x3.
    Push Press 180x1.

Im currently on Madcows week 2, day 1.

Squats:
    140x5
    180x5
    210x5
    240x5
    280x5

Easy things. Only 1 minutes rest between each set.

Bench:
    85x5
    105x5
    120x5
    140x5
    160x5

Still easy things. 1 minute rest between sets also.

Squat cleans:
    70x3
    85x3
    100x3
    120x3
    135x3

Easy, but got my shoulders to much over the bar on one rep and dropped it. Still did 3 though.

Sit-Ups:
    2.5x10
    2.5x10
    2.5x10

Chin Ups:
    BWx3
    BWx3

Figured I was actually doing wide grip pull ups, lol.

BWx5

Only going for 3x5 on this on friday, then adding 2.5 lbs each time I do them
    Last edited by Wannabeatank; 07-05-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Weight:
    Lifting background:

?

Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    Weight:
    Lifting background:

?
    Oh, yes.

Height: 5'9
    Weight: 181 as of this morning.
    Lifting background: Coming up to six months of training next week.

I did a morning walk/run today. One mile walking, didn't time it though. I ran a half-mile also, timed at 3:46. Felt good, working my way up to one-mile. Since I haven't ran in a long time, i'm increasing 1/4 mile every week, so I don't go over board and hurt myself or something.

You said you want to have the strongest squat and overhead press in the world so why are you trying to get to a mile run and why do i not see ANY overhead pressing in your program? Same question as to why you want to compete in PL if the squat and the press are your goals.

NOTHING WRONG with doing a meet and NOTHING WRONG with benching especially just starting out but you'll have to comit at some point.

I wouldn't worry about running a mile. It's not going to help with any of your goals. (unless you compete in the mile run). Sprint up hills, drag a tire, do some form of HIIT.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by poplawsj View Post
    You said you want to have the strongest squat and overhead press in the world so why are you trying to get to a mile run and why do i not see ANY overhead pressing in your program? Same question as to why you want to compete in PL if the squat and the press are your goals.

NOTHING WRONG with doing a meet and NOTHING WRONG with benching especially just starting out but you'll have to comit at some point.

I wouldn't worry about running a mile. It's not going to help with any of your goals. (unless you compete in the mile run). Sprint up hills, drag a tire, do some form of HIIT.

Just my two cents.
    I just want to do the meet to meet people in real life who like to train, and lift. No one I know is into it, so I thought a powerlifting meet would be a good way to meet some people. Also, I can only overhead press on wednesdays, since i've been told after many times at my main gym not to do them. I wanted to do madcows with OHP replacing bench, but that isn't working out. I'm also currently trying to build a home gym though, with my dad and some friends so I can do overhead press.

As far as the running is concerned, I'm just running until I can save up more money to build a sled, which should only be about three-four weeks. Also, since I have to run the mile in school to get a good grade in my physical education class, I thought i'd just do it to get the best grade I can.

Thank you for thoughts however!

WBT, you are 16, running once a week is fine and won't be a problem for you. A mile isn't a long run at all, it won't keep you from getting very strong. Looks like you've put in some solid work the past 6 months, keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabeatank View Post
    i've been told after many times at my main gym not to do them.
    Who fucking cares if people don't want you to do OHP, just do the damn thing and tell them you didn't ask their opinion. Or act crazy, eating chalk and talking to yourself. Shave half your head. Stuff like that. I don't think people will tell you what you should or should not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    WBT, you are 16, running once a week is fine and won't be a problem for you. A mile isn't a long run at all, it won't keep you from getting very strong. Looks like you've put in some solid work the past 6 months, keep it up.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Who fucking cares if people don't want you to do OHP, just do the damn thing and tell them you didn't ask their opinion. Or act crazy, eating chalk and talking to yourself. Shave half your head. Stuff like that. I don't think people will tell you what you should or should not do.
    I have done many crazy things, such as jump up and down, and even climb on the bar like Frank Yang does. They just think i'm a crazy kid who will one day have no knees since I squat "deep". Haters gonna hate.

Good news, bad news though. I found a gym that has bumpers and lets you OHP!

Bad news, it's a crossfit gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabeatank View Post
    Thank you!

I have done many crazy things, such as jump up and down, and even climb on the bar like Frank Yang does. They just think i'm a crazy kid who will one day have no knees since I squat "deep". Haters gonna hate.

Good news, bad news though. I found a gym that has bumpers and lets you OHP!

Bad news, it's a crossfit gym.
    As long as you don't have to do the WODs and they don't charge 150 bucks/month, I'd lift in such a place.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    As long as you don't have to do the WODs and they don't charge 150 bucks/month, I'd lift in such a place.
    It's only $30/month, so it seems like a fair deal. 5 power racks, a platform, some GHR, didn't see any benches, but I don't really care anyways. It also had one of thoses kipping pullups things, to be honest I make fun of thoses all the time... but they look like fun sort of. I will have to stop myself from doing to many though, I don't want to become one of them..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast