starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5's what-the-f training log

Default 5's what-the-f training log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been lurking here for a while. What better way to jump in than to start a training log?

I'm 42, female, 5'9" and about 134 lbs. right now. I have 3 kids (ages 11, 8, and 6) and work a full-time, though flexible, job. I've been basically fit all of my adult life, but not strong. I started barbell lifting about a year ago after discovering the StrongLifts website. My starting weights were the empty bar for everything but DL, which was about 75 lbs. I've had a couple of injuries, including a fucked-up shoulder that prohibited low-bar squats for a while, but I'm now basically intact except for some nagging elbow tendinitis. I've done 5x5 on the big lifts, then 3x5, then 5/3/1, and now (after attending the Atlanta SS seminar in June) back to basics while (maybe) trying to gain a little weight (though I have very conflicted feelings about that). I'm beginning to fail all over the place and not sure what to do, hence the log title.

Current 1 rep PRs (all in lbs.):
    Squat: 142.5
    DL: 180
    OHP: 70
    Bench: 92.5
    Front squat: 105
    PC: 75 (new to this; still learning)

Yesterday's shitty workout:
    SQ: 45x5x2, 65x3, 85x2, 105x1, 121.5 -- 5, 4, 3, 3
    OHP: 20x5, 30x5, 45x1, 55x1, 60 -- 3, 2, 2, 1, 2
    Push-press (for volume and self-punishment): 45 -- 5x10
    DL: 95x5, 115x3, 135x2, 152.5x1, 167.5 -- 3, 2

Today's elbow rehab:
    1K row on C2 (4:48)
    40 chin ups (2x20)

Thanks to all who follow along here.

Welcome from the rest of us geezers. Check the geezer taxonomy and related threads in The Elderly section if you haven't already. You just might be amazed at the gathering gaggle of geezers flocking here.

jeez Mark, pretty soon you'll be calling me a geezer too (I'm 33)!

Welcome to the log section, 5. Gaining weight would probably help you if you're stalling but I understand that it's complicated. And this is ironic coming from me, since I'm one of the local twigs.. :-) Tamara posted a pic of herself in her log the other day while weighing 160 at 5'8": http://startingstrength.com/resource...997#post284997

jgh, you have plenty of time to train to pass the combine so as to make the cut for Team Geezer. We'll be cheering you on all the way as you enter our greying ranks.

Hi, and welcome. Our lifts are pretty close- you can see my blog (training log mostly) under 'homepage' by clicking my user name here on the post. I wonder if all the chin-ups on a non-lifting day are affecting your overhead press. 2 sets of 20 is a lot and very impressive, I'm kinda jealous. Just throwing out a non-expert possibility, you've been to the seminar and know more about this based on that then I do. I'll be following your log!

Welcome and good luck with your training! From my own experience, when the failing starts and you kind of throw your hands up and go "what gives?", it's a dietary deficiency. From experience, if you're barbell training and very concerned about gaining weight, you might be doing yourself the disservice of eating way too little. "Putting on weight" and "getting fatter" are two different beasts, even though gaining lean mass will always be accompanied by some fat here and there.

Good to have another lifter here and hope to watch you make the gains you wish to.

My wife is an on again off again lifter. Though very strong she doesn't enjoy lifting. Right now she's into the Tabata Protocol and loving it.

Your current PR's are very good for a beginner female lifter!

Welcome, nice to see another 42-year old lady getting strong. Your lifts look great, keep up the good work. There are lots of cool people on this forum to cheer you on! FYI I am 5' 8" and weigh 160. That is 10 pounds heavier than when I started lifting but lo and behold my clothes are loose and I feel better about the way I look. I'm a former runner (I was shitty at it but plodded my way through a couple marathons) and was the most fat when my miles were the highest. Being naturally muscular I decided to embrace the way I look and not fight it. My diet has been pretty crappy the last couple months so I'm doing 30 days paleo (no grain, sugar, dairy, alcohol). Eating plenty of meat and veggies, a little fruit and good fat. I may end up losing a little weight doing this, but if my lifts continue to improve I don't care.

I look forward to reading your log and getting strong with you!

@ xcardio: Ha! That was a notational error -- it was 20 sets of 2 on the chins, so not nearly as impressive. Still though, enough volume to make my abs, lats, and biceps cry a little today. I'm doing it on Rip's suggestion to cure elbow tendinitis. The idea is to aggravate the shit out of the tendon and force it to heal. Counterintuitive, but nothing else has worked.

@ everyone else: Many thanks for the welcomes. I don't have time for individual replies right now, but I really appreciate you all stopping by. I'll have to hunt up your logs when I have a chance.

Today: No real fails = huge screaming damn success.

FRONT SQUATS:
    45x3x2
    65x2
    81.5x3 microloading error
    83x3x5 + 1.5 lbs. over last time

Fine. I do these for mid-week light squat day and because I love them. My 1 rep PR is 105, some months ago.

BENCH PRESS:
    45x5
    55x5
    65x2
    82x5x3 + 1.5 lbs. over last time
    75x10 a back off set just seemed appropriate

I'm pretty sure the 82 matches my previous 5 rep PR. Hard, but a good arch saved the day.

CLEANS:
    45x3x2 (hang)
    65x3 (full, using my personal bumper plates that I bring to the gym)
    70x3x2 pitiful jump
    65x3 more sadness

BBRs:
    75x5x3

and for shits and giggles, to stave off bingo arms, and because they just might help my bench and press . . .
    LYING TRICEPS EXTENSIONS (henceforth "LTEs"):
    EZ curl bar (dunno how much it weighs) + 20 lbs. 3x8
    Last edited by 5inthehall; 07-13-2011 at 08:46 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    ...creepily stalking you on as many strength forums as possible.

Would you mind pointing me towards some of the other women's logs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast