starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another skinny guy doing SS

Default Another skinny guy doing SS

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well hopefully keeping a log here will help me with the program. I'm working to get bigger and stronger as I currently far from being either. I have very little training experience, but I've spent a decent amount of time trying to learn, and SS seems like it will probably be the best place to start. I think the biggest challenge for me by far is going to be getting the calories I need. I definitely don't have a big appetite.

Starting stats:
    27 yo
    6'4"
    Body fat is probably about 10-11%, but that's just a guess
    Current weight is 157, so yea, a skinny bastard

Started last night. Didn't push hard cause I knew I would be extremely sore if I did and I figure I have plenty of time to increase the weight. Here are my work sets.

7/11/11
    Squat 3x5x115
    Press 3x5x65
    Deadlift 1x5x185

Good start. If you add a GOMAD to what you are eating now, you'll grow fast. I am 6'4 and went from 190 to 219 in two months.

Thanks bonesheal. I'm getting as much of it as I can down. This damn 100+ heat is making it hard to take milk on the go. Even an ice chest in the car doesn't last long and I don't have time to stop at every gas station for ice. Even still I've taken my calories well above where they use to be. I'm hoping that as I go along it will get easier to eat more and more.

Today workout

Squat 3x5x125
    Bench 3x5x105
    Deadlift 3x5x205

All lifts were pretty easy. I may have started out a little too light, but I figured it was better to err on the side of caution. Gives me a chance to think about my form too. I'm sure that as the weights get heavy I'll need all my focus on just getting them up. Not thinking about every nuance of my form. Hopefully I'll have to pretty dialed in by then.

This is the most fun you'll have in your time lifting weights, big jumps, easy breezy progress, free license to eat everything in sight, slabs of muscle appearing magically, hopefully you learn a lot and make the most of it while it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    This is the most fun you'll have in your time lifting weights, big jumps, easy breezy progress, free license to eat everything in sight, slabs of muscle appearing magically, hopefully you learn a lot and make the most of it while it lasts.
    Yes, enjoy! Eating the food is half the effort, don't skimp on it!

Mike,
    Only 3 workouts in and it is definitely kinda fun. Even though I'm not lifting anything close to heavy, cause I'm weak, I do feel great each time I go in and add weight. So far each workout has been easier than the one before it even though the weight is heavier. It's a nice feeling. Too bad I know that won't go on forever, but I'm enjoying it while I can.

Carlos,
    I'm shoveling in as much as I can stand. I've almost made myself puke a couple of times, but I know I usually way under eat. Hence my weighing under 160 despite being rather tall.

Tonight's workout felt good.
    Squat 3x5x135
    Press 3x5x70
    Deadlift 1x5x215

My workout tonight was rushed because the gym was closing. Had to get it all done in 20 minutes, but got through my warm up and hit my targets so it worked out.

Squat 3x5x145
    Bench 3x5x110
    Deadlift 1x5x225

Good job dude. I just started today and I'm pretty sure I'm in the same boat as you (skinny) and it'll be good to compare progress

subscribed - good luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks guys

Tonight's breakdown

Squat 3x5x155
    Press 3x5x75
    Deadlift 1x5x235

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast