starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bp's Starting Strength Log

Default Bp's Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Time to get involved.

Started SS late November, 2010. Read Rip's SS, Practical Programming, bought the DVD, and attended a one day Starting Strength training camp with Damon Well's on December 15, 2011. (amazing time) Over the course of the last eight months I had some resets (life and injury) but am finally getting back to normal. Two resets were because of injury, one lifting and the other in April non-lifting. (both lower back) Then May 22 the Joplin tornado happened. I spent almost four weeks working in Joplin. Once I got back home my back finally started to feel better at the end of June. Sought Chiro work and mobility. Squatted bar only. First session back was July 3rd.

Moved apartments in late June and joined a new gym. Much better than my old one. This gym has squat racks, platform, bumpers, prowler, and even some tires. Best part is, they cater to people who lift weights. My former gym made fun of powerlifters, in their ads! No joke...still wonder why they had squat racks. Dang hipsters. I was so glad to get out of there. It was right across the street so I just ignored it because of convenience and it was cheap. Our new place has an encouraging atmosphere, everyone just trying to get stronger. Big dudes there.

November 29, 2010 - Beginning weights
    Squat - 85 lbs
    Bench - 65
    Press - 65
    Deadlift - 135
    Power Clean - 65

End of April 2011
    Squat - 195
    Bench - 160
    Press - 110
    Deadlift - 220
    Power Clean - 115
    Achieved first chin-up! Three in a row actually. First chin-up ever.

April 25 - July 3, 2011 - Time off
    *Injury
    *Joplin Tornado - Almost 4 weeks

July 3, 2011 - Started back up after Tornado and injury layoff - Still working the injury out so I started back light.
    Back Squat - 115
    Bench Press - 115
    Press - 95
    Deadlift - 115
    Power Clean - 95

August 1, 2011
    Squat - 200
    Bench - 150
    Press - 120
    Deadlift - 190
    Power Clean - 135

Height - 5'10"
    Weight - 227
    Age - 28

Here we go!
    Last edited by bpierce; 08-02-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Life this week. Traveled Wed - today for family issues. Missed Wed.

Default back from our trip

Back from our trip. Logged a lot of miles, little sleep, and lack of food. Got back late this afternoon. Threw on some shorts and went to the gym. Squat felt heavy and so did the deadlift. Bench felt pretty good. Didn't miss any reps, the weight just felt heavy. Glad to be back.

Squat - 3x5

Bench - 3x5

Deadlift - 3x5

Last edited by bpierce; 08-16-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Default First time@220 Squat

Sipped on a coffee with heavy cream during my session. Occasionally I'll post what I am eating. Energy was good. Missed breakfast but at Lunch I had two Ribeye steaks, (2 lbs) five eggs scrambled, cooked in EVOO, and five strips of bacon. Dinner, half a rotisserie chicken, and sweet potato fries. I am not quite sure how much I'll need to eat as I get into new weights.

Squat - 3x5
    *First set only four reps. I wussed out. First time at this weight and I let it get to me. Last two sets manned up.
    *Took video. Not sure if my chest is collapsing. I know on some of the reps I did a good morning. First set I was on my toes. Need to review it again and see if it is good enough to post for critique.

Press - 3x5
    *Focused on tightening my mid line and laying back from the waist. I need to take video.

Power Clean- 3x5
    *Ran out of time so I did 3x5 jumping negative chins

Jumping Negative Chin-ups - 3x5
    *Did two non-jumping singles.

Last edited by bpierce; 08-16-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Default Squat and an injury

Squat - 3x5 (3x5, 1, DNF)
    *Injury: Third rep of the first set, felt a pop in my left leg, just below my hip crease. Finished the set but felt a sharp pain out of the hole. Second set only did one rep and couldn't finish because of pain. I only feel pain squatting. Plan is to ice and rehab the squat while I continue to advance other lifts.
    *Felt very strong at 230 than I did at 225.

Bench - 3x5
    *No issues with this weight.

Deadlift - 3x5

*No issues with this weight.

Last edited by bpierce; 08-16-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Default Saturday Prowler Pushing

10 - 40 Yard Prolwer sprints - push. Two 25 pound plates.
    It didn't cause any aggregation of the injury pushing the Prowler. Only happens squatting. I think I strained my quad.

Last edited by bpierce; 08-16-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Default Trudging on despite the injury

Been icing my quad. The injury still only hurts when I squat. In the bottom of the squat I have a sharp pain and go weak, unable to drive out of the hole. So I trudge on with the other lifts. Those movements do not aggravate it.

Squat - 1x5
    A few empty bar squats to feel it out and get the blood moving.

Press - 3x5
    *first time at this weight. Last rep of the last two sets I had to fight when the bar reached my forehead. Fought to get it up and under the bar.
    *widened my grip. I think my grip has been to narrow. Widening helped a lot. Can't wait to put the big wheels on and go at it.
    *I am pumped every set I complete. Such a rewarding yet challenging lift.

Power Clean - 5x3
    *I need to take video. I thought this weight wasn't difficult but am concerned I am not extending on my third pull. Also need to make sure my back is staying locked and not rounding. I enjoy power cleans.

Negative Jumping Chins - 3x5
    *2@BW

Last edited by bpierce; 08-16-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Squat - 1x5
    *Difficult to squat, still rehabbing my quad issue. Doesn't hurt on the other lifts.

Bench - 3x5
    185 1x5
    180 2x5
    *Went for 185 but decided to back down to 180, the weight I was suppose to be at. It might be about time for 5 lbs jumps.

Deadlift - 1x5
    *Might have to start 5 lbs jumps instead of 10.

Last edited by bpierce; 08-29-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Default meh session

Squat -

*Did a few with the bar. My quad hurts too much to do many. When I get to the bottom of the squat I lose strength to push out of the hole. Plan to visit the doc this week.

Press - 3x5
    *Set 1 - 1,1,1,F,F Set 2 - 1,1,F,F,F Set 3 - 1,F,F,F,F
    *Poor sleep, lack of food, and worked a ton this weekend. Wasn't up for this session. Felt dead. I'll repeat weight again. Pumped for the big wheels but didn't get it done.

Power Clean
    *Didn't struggle with this weight.
    *worked on full ext at the top keeping straight arms as long as I can, then whipping my elbows under.

starting strength coach development program
    Didn't have much energy going in. Not sure what the problem is, the last two days I have felt blah.

Squat
    Still too painful to squat.

Bench - 3x5
    *Failed on the last rep of the last set.
    *My shoulders are not even, need to take video and see what the issue is.

Deadlift - 1x5
    *Getting tough.

Last edited by bpierce; 08-24-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast