starting strength gym

Thread: Canadia, eh? Recap

Default Canadia, eh? Recap

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Our long anticipated return to Canadia was a roaring success. And by that, I mean that we made it through border patrol without incident or harassment. It was a pleasant change to the drama we’ve had in the past due to Canadia customs treating us as if we were criminals trying to break into Canadia and steal coaching jobs from all of the out of work strength coaches in the nation. Crisis averted.

Our good friend Alex; whom we met at a competition; and who we were visiting for recreation; while staying at the Days Inn Mississagua took such good care of us that we decided to brave Border patrol again. We’ll be back next year. His gym should be the mold that sets a CrossFit gym apart from “boxes” where true training and strength gains take place. His partner in crime, Rachael, took the course and made sure we had enough raw milk, cheese, and local beer so that we wanted for nothing. His gym members were all helpful and pleasant and coachable and made our stay extremely enjoyable. Alex is one of the best and if you have a chance to train with him at Element CrossFit, do it. We like him so much we’re dragging him to Brooklyn to coach with us at the next seminar. Thanks Alex, Rachael, and gang for everything! See you next time.

The group as a whole was fantastic. Questions were well presented and thought out and sparked some great conversations. We had one of the largest group of women here that we’ve ever had and I have to say that working with each and every one of them was a pleasure. These chicks know how to work hard, listen to and emulate the teaching methods while supporting each other and asking smart questions. Listen up dudes, you’d do well to watch them work. They took a lot in, stayed engaged on their platforms and stayed calm even when some of the lifting techniques were different than what they’ve been doing in the past. There were so many PR’s that I’ve forgotten who and what so you’ll have to comment below and let us know.

As much as we don’t generally pick out favorites throughout the weekend, my favorites were Aaron and Father Francis. These two young men have extremely promising futures in strength coaching. They’re smart, concise, able to quickly hand out useful cues which was very helpful to their athletes and be supportive on the platform to others. Both of them said they’ll come down to WFAC at some point to train and continue to work on their coaching so we’ll be looking forward to that. Father Francis even said he’ll bring Brother Paul rounding out the clergy members of the Starting Strength family.

Lest I forget, our Saturday evening group meal was one for the books. Really, once everyone puts on Moose ears, it's pretty much a party.

As always, everyone please keep us posted on your coaching and training progress. It was a blast being back in Canadia. We look forward to next time.
    jp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jep6095; 08-04-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks for everything this weekend! The staff was extremely helpful and Rip was more hilarious and knowledgeable than I had even expected. I fully intend on coming down to train at the WFAC as soon as I have some money together to do so. Brother Paul is still interested as well.

Now to finish this exam... Rip really knows how to write 'em!

ditto on what francis said...thank you so much for an unbelievable weekend. sooo much knowledge...sooo much learned...sooo much awesomeness. you guys are an amazing bunch of badass coaches.

a week and a half later and i'm feeling like a rockstar on the platform. stuff is just starting to feel right! now for my 200# squat!

looking forward to your return soon!

siobhain/chivon/chevron/sio

It was an awesome weekend. Thanks to Rip and crew for making the trek up to our barren igloo & maple syrup filled country, eh? It's changed the way people train at our gym already - I'm no longer the only one getting after people to get stronger there's a whole group of people who have finally realized the importance for themselves. (Even people that didn't take the cert are catching on! Strong is addictive!) We've already got people asking about our next in house lifting meet and competing in sanctioned regional meets as well!

I'm honoured and excited to make the trek to Brooklyn in a month!

Dontcha know I had a good time, eh. It was a great way to chilloot.

Mmmmm cheese.....

It was an honour to have you guys up, thank you!!!

Looks like a nice event, where about did you do this in Canada?

starting strength coach development program
    where about did you do this in Canada?

Our good friend Alex; whom we met at a competition; and who we were visiting for recreation; while staying at the Days Inn Mississagua took such good care of us that we decided to brave Border patrol again. We’ll be back next year. His gym should be the mold that sets a CrossFit gym apart from “boxes” where true training and strength gains take place. His partner in crime, Rachael, took the course and made sure we had enough raw milk, cheese, and local beer so that we wanted for nothing. His gym members were all helpful and pleasant and coachable and made our stay extremely enjoyable. Alex is one of the best and if you have a chance to train with him at Element CrossFit, do it. We like him so much we’re dragging him to Brooklyn to coach with us at the next seminar. Thanks Alex, Rachael, and gang for everything! See you next time.
    jp