Default squat, dl form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone,

could these be causing knee pain?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDSGeJXFBxs
    Thanks

I wouldn't think so, they both looked good to me. Insane how little knee travel you have on those squats with the depth you hit.

Quote Originally Posted by std01108 View Post
    Hello everyone,

could these be causing knee pain?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDSGeJXFBxs
    Thanks
    Describe the pain, IN DETAIL, please.

First thing I see (on the squats) is that you have NO knee travel, which is wrong.

Deads look fine, but you need to open the knees just a bit more at the start of the movement (more knee, less hip, but just a bit). Think "push middle of foot into floor".
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 08-08-2011 at 01:14 PM.

The pain is mainly inside the circle of the picture.

The mri showed an inflamed acl, a deterioration in the height of the meniscus and some kind of liquid, I can't translate from greek. There is no obvious tear in the meniscus or acl. I sometimes feel pinches during deadlifts but otherwise it doesn't hurt a lot during workouts. It hurts after the workouts and during the rest of the day. You must be right about the knee travel because when I accidentally get knee travel sometimes, I feel stronger and safer. Do you know how I can address this issue? When you say "you need to open the knees just a bit more at the start of the movement" you mean like toes out knees out of the squat? I can't understand "more knee, less hip" at all. Is "push middle of foot into floor" going to solve all of the above deadlift issues?

Many thanks to both of you for bothering to read and answer.
    Last edited by std01108; 08-09-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Can you get us a rear or rear 3/4 view of your squat? Also, try to wear lighter-color pants next time you record.

The pain is mainly inside the circle of the picture.

The mri showed an inflamed acl, a deterioration in the height of the meniscus and some kind of liquid, I can't translate from greek. There is no obvious tear in the meniscus or acl. I sometimes feel pinches during deadlifts but otherwise it doesn't hurt a lot during workouts. It hurts after the workouts and during the rest of the day. You must be right about the knee travel because when I accidentally get knee travel sometimes, I feel stronger and safer. Do you know how I can address this issue? When you say "you need to open the knees just a bit more at the start of the movement" you mean like toes out knees out of the squat? I can't understand "more knee, less hip" at all. Is "push middle of foot into floor" going to solve all of the above deadlift issues?

Many thanks to both of you for bothering to read and answer.
    Deadlift: the deadlift is a combination of knee extension (opening of the knee) and hip extension (opening of the hip). At the start of the lift, it's almost all knee extension (depending on anthropometry), and little hip extension. The closer the bar gets to the knee, the more hip extension comes into play, until the bar passes the knee and the rest of the movement is almost entirely hip extension as the bar continues higher. So, you need more knee extension when the bar is near the knee.

And I know I'm right on the knee travel. Read the book.

I've read the book and Rips threads on the subject. You're talking about being through setting the knee by the time you get about 1/3 of the way down, right? But really I can't get this part. And anyway doesn't it seem unnatural to think all this while you squat? I mean "push middle of foot into floor" or "drive your ass up" are clear cues. Maybe I just think it's unatural because I can't do it, but have you heard any other cues about no knee travel?

I've read the book and Rips threads on the subject. You're talking about being through setting the knee by the time you get about 1/3 of the way down, right? But really I can't get this part. And anyway doesn't it seem unnatural to think all this while you squat? I mean "push middle of foot into floor" or "drive your ass up" are clear cues. Maybe I just think it's unatural because I can't do it, but have you heard any other cues about no knee travel?
    Yes, for some people it is, which is why, if they cannot process CLEARLY WRITTEN information given to them in CLEARLY written form and then look at a CLEAR video and see that their knees, which are HURTING THEM are CLEARLY IN THE WRONG PLACE, need a coach. Why don't you just try bending your knees more instead of prattling on and on about it? It's not a complicated thing. Squat. Take video. Bend knees more. Watch video. Did it work? Y/N. Iterate from there. This isn't rocket science.

Another suggestion would be that TUBOW has more than one application.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 08-09-2011 at 02:13 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Hello again, do you see any improvement in the knee travel thing? If so is any of the three sets better than the others? They go from narrow stance to wider and I can't tell which is better
    set 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlsXz9rOGug
    set 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRA9Lm2bCBc
    set 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUYn_JJbL6Y
    thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast