• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    this is from today:

245 - warmup:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O2vYxPJc6A

280:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08lMAszXC6Y

i typically get quite a bit lower but i'm struggling with what i think is a muscle strain so my depth was affected, i couldn't finish my work sets as the pain was escalating so i stopped.

this was taken about 6 weeks ago and aside from my larger than life gut (which i never realized until i watched this abomination) things look better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5djCvwnKQ6s&NR=1

either way anytime i make progress i seem to hurt myself, this time it seems to be a muscle strain, i know it's from leaning forward and having to do a good morning to get the weight back so i don't fall forward, i just don't know how to stop it.

also i can't make good jumps without form break so is there a good program where an older guy can take it slow?

Set up the same, bring your heels in a bit (narrowing your stance while turning your toes out further). Then, concentrate on jamming your knees out HARD, and keeping them there. The last bit's the important thing. Lift your elbows and your chest more, and get your head down (stop peeking in the mirror).

Try that and post again.

it will be a little while before i'm back in the gym after today i'll be taking at least two weeks off to let my back heal a bit and reassess. one step forward and two steps backwards.

i assume when i squat down and i come back up i shouldn't feel the entire weight trying to slam me face first into the ground? typically after i squat my back feels more tired than my legs from fighting the weight.

when i keep my head down i REALLY feel like i'm going to fly face first into the ground.

Also, for programming, try just lifting 2x per week instead of 3. What kind of jumps are you taking in adding weight for each lift?

Quote Originally Posted by michael dowling View Post
    it will be a little while before i'm back in the gym after today i'll be taking at least two weeks off to let my back heal a bit and reassess. one step forward and two steps backwards.

i assume when i squat down and i come back up i shouldn't feel the entire weight trying to slam me face first into the ground? typically after i squat my back feels more tired than my legs from fighting the weight.

when i keep my head down i REALLY feel like i'm going to fly face first into the ground.
    Then keep the weight over the middle of your foot and you won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    Then keep the weight over the middle of your foot and you won't.
    this is where i have the issue, i seem to go from having the weight trying to fall forward and my back having to keep it from doing so causing pain, to falling straight back on my ass with 280 lbs on my back and that shit hurts.

is it a straight down motion? should your back be very actively engaged in trying to keep the weight from driving your face into the ground?

when i shove my knees out i lose all tightness in my chest, i also lose tightness to allow my body to drop into the hole, if i stay real tight i can only get to about an inch or two above parallel.

this is where i have the issue, i seem to go from having the weight trying to fall forward and my back having to keep it from doing so causing pain, to falling straight back on my ass with 280 lbs on my back and that shit hurts.

is it a straight down motion? should your back be very actively engaged in trying to keep the weight from driving your face into the ground?

when i shove my knees out i lose all tightness in my chest, i also lose tightness to allow my body to drop into the hole, if i stay real tight i can only get to about an inch or two above parallel.
    You need to read the whole entire squat chapter again if you have these questions. Every single question that you have asked in this post is covered CLEARLY in the book. I'm not here to spoon feed you. Go read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    You need to read the whole entire squat chapter again if you have these questions. Every single question that you have asked in this post is covered CLEARLY in the book. I'm not here to spoon feed you. Go read the book.
    noted, not trying to put you out at all...

anyone else want to help me out? clearly i'm not good at reading a book and how that translates to actively moving hundreds of lbs on a bar. if i could glean what i needed from the book i wouldn't be asking these specific questions with provided videos in the technique section.
    Last edited by michael dowling; 08-09-2011 at 02:24 PM.

noted, not trying to put you out at all...

anyone else want to help me out? clearly i'm not good at reading a book and how that translates to actively moving hundreds of lbs on a bar. if i could glean what i needed from the book i wouldn't be asking these specific questions with provided videos in the technique section.
    There is a statement in the book that states where your knees should be at the bottom. There's also a picture. Go look at it.

Interestingly, when you put your knees in the right place, you're going to find that your back angle will be more vertical. Hmmmm.

starting strength coach development program
    OK i read the entire squat section on starting strength and i'm still confused about how to actually execute the low bar back squat. i'm confused with the "sit back" cue, if i sit back like i'm sitting back on a box i will fall backwards with 300 lbs on my back, to counter this fall back feeling i lean forward and my back takes pressure, what can i do so i can squat without hurting my back? i'm not looking to be spoon fed, maybe just impart some wisdom that could help a brotha out...

i just took a week off to let my back heal and i'm going to reset the weights again and get back in the gym tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast