starting strength gym

Thread: First time deadlift attempt

Default First time deadlift attempt

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all. I'm posting this for my friend who wants to start doing SS with me. This is his first attempt at deadlifting 135#. I coached him on the lift as much as I could, but I'm no expert and I'm sure there's room for improvement. WRT his upper back being rounded, I asked him if he could straighten it and he said he's never been able to. I think his lower back looks pretty straight, so it shouldn't be an issue, right? Thanks in advance for any comments.

1) Read the stickys at the top of the forum (there's 2 of them). We need to see all of the lifter in the frame.
    2) Set up properly: http://startingstrength.com/resource...468#post182468

Then film another video.

What's that thing around his waist?

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    WRT his upper back being rounded, I asked him if he could straighten it and he said he's never been able to. I think his lower back looks pretty straight, so it shouldn't be an issue, right? Thanks in advance for any comments.
    He should get his upper back straightened out, it will hinder his ability to throw up heavy weights. If he does the program right he will do many things he's never been able to do. Don't let that be an excuse for why he won't fix it. He needs to keep his chest up, which is done by pulling the scapulas back and down with the muscles in the upper back. He needs to get them in position during setup for the deadlift. They should also be in that position for every other lift in the SS program. He'll get better posture as a side-effect.

Quote Originally Posted by slipshod77 View Post
    He should get his upper back straightened out, it will hinder his ability to throw up heavy weights. If he does the program right he will do many things he's never been able to do. Don't let that be an excuse for why he won't fix it. He needs to keep his chest up, which is done by pulling the scapulas back and down with the muscles in the upper back. He needs to get them in position during setup for the deadlift. They should also be in that position for every other lift in the SS program. He'll get better posture as a side-effect.
    Maybe, or he could have an extreme kyphosis. There's no way to tell at this time.