starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interrupted sleep

Default Interrupted sleep

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip ,

I usually wake up after 4 hours of sleep , unintentionally , then sleep another 4 hours.
    Is that having a negative impact on strength gains ?? I really can't control it.

Thank you in advance.

Don't worry about it. It will keep you awake.

We (the human beings "we") sleep in cycles in which we move through the various sleep stages ranging from Stage 1 (REM) sleep (now just referred to as REM stage) where dreaming occurs, all the way down to Stage 4 (now referred to as N3 stage, the "N" being for NREM or Non-REM) - the deep sleep where all the good HGH is produced. Most people move through these cycles, From Stage 1 down to Stage 4 and then back up again to Stage 1 on a fairly regular pattern over a fairly regular period of time. When we come back up to Stage 1 and are dreaming again, some people are such light sleepers that they can remember their dreams quite vividly, and some people can and do wake up. This is probably what's happening to you.

Either that, or your fucked up and you'll be a good candidate from some research Doc's sleep study. But it's probably the awakening thing, so don't lose sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Don't worry about it. It will keep you awake.
    Now that there is damn funny.

Eye shades and earplugs. Those I have actually used and they've made an impact. A Benadryl couldn't hurt. Sodium Pentothal if you can score it.

I think not worrying about it is really the best advice. If you start fucking around with different sleep aids and techniques you're just going to screw yourself up even more. Good sleep is activity that shouldn't involve any conscious action.

shouldn't
    being the operative. But sometimes this is not the case.

I suspect the poster who says this isn't a real worry is a "young-un" Bad news, these sleep issues get more prevalent as we get older. In the last few years, I get the 4-5 hour wake-up more and more often. Sometimes I get back to sleep, sometimes not. This supposedly "should" cause recovery issues, but surprisingly this has not been the case for me so far, possibly because I manage my fatigue pretty well. It may become more of a prob;em if I move back in to harder training to do comps.

Sometimes when I really care about something it wakes me up in the middle of the night.

A few days ago I was considering to switch from low bar to high bar and that woke me up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    We (the human beings "we") sleep in cycles in which we move through the various sleep stages ranging from Stage 1 (REM) sleep (now just referred to as REM stage) where dreaming occurs, all the way down to Stage 4 (now referred to as N3 stage, the "N" being for NREM or Non-REM) - the deep sleep where all the good HGH is produced. Most people move through these cycles, From Stage 1 down to Stage 4 and then back up again to Stage 1 on a fairly regular pattern over a fairly regular period of time. When we come back up to Stage 1 and are dreaming again, some people are such light sleepers that they can remember their dreams quite vividly, and some people can and do wake up. This is probably what's happening to you.

Either that, or your fucked up and you'll be a good candidate from some research Doc's sleep study. But it's probably the awakening thing, so don't lose sleep over it.
    My understanding from that is that we go through all four stages in less than 2 hours , so as long as we sleep 2 uninterruped hours and that the total adds up to 8 there will be no recovery problem ??

I got it today again , I think it's because I started sleeping at 4AM (summer holiday).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast