Thread: wes' log

Default wes' log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Name: Wes
    Weight: 173 (started around 135)
    Height: 5'9"

About 7 months ago I began SS. Prior to that I had no legitimate lifting experience. It went ok at first but after a few months I realized my form was shit, I was hurting myself, and drinking so much milk made me feel gross. Then I entered barbell purgatory for a few months and no progress was made. I recently figured out how to eat, lift, and recover semi-decently. Actually, I just figured out how to squat a few days ago. I still feel like a complete retard whenever I try to figure out power cleans.

I am reentering pr territory on all lifts right now.

Today (evening, before dinner, no work):

Press 115 x 5/5/7 Average day

Squat 205 x 5/5/5 Good day. Weight didn't feel that heavy. Finally getting hip drive and stretch reflex.

Chins None today. This is the last day of resting my elbows. Need to decide about continuing on at 42.5 x 8/8 (got 40 last time), switching to high rep bw chins, or something between the two.

Evening (before dinner, physically tough day at work):

Bench 165 x 5/5/6 Didnt feel strong today. Should have got 8 on the last set.

Deads 265 x 5 Not that heavy. Using a more vertical back angle makes this work better. It was recently brought to my attention that I have a long torso and short legs.

Power clean 85 x 12ish This was light. I could snap it up very easily. Form was garbage. Caught the first rep with my left hand rather than racking it, hurt my elbow. Smacked my collar bone a few times. Started the second pull below the knees a few times. Got lucky once or twice and got a decent rep. This was my first serious attempt at learning the power clean.

Morning:

This was a weird day. Woke up but never felt completely awake. Ate some food, waited, went to lift around 9:45. Couldn't hold my breath for the press for more than 3 reps before feeling faint. I can usually get 3 without any trouble. Halfway through my first squat work set I realized I wasn't wearing my belt. Still got my reps in. I didn't have my ordinary huge glass of milk + whey last night before bed, wonder if that had something to do with waking up feeling weird.

Press 117.5 x 5/5/5

Squat 210 x 5/5/5

Chins BW x 12/9/6 Short rest between sets

Found a hill to run up today. Its not very long but its got a good pitch and its close to my house.

Hills x 10 Sprint up, walk down

Deadlift 300 x 1 PR. Unplanned, ate a lot of carbs, got bored, went for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVuAMghiFa8&t=0m25s

Night (before dinner, easy day at work):

Bench 167.5 x 5/5/6 Ordinary day

Squat 215x 5/6/5 Not a great day. Some good morning reps. Back was sore after, legs weren't.

DB Row 44 x 12 54 x 12 First time trying these. 44 was light. 54 was heavy. Would have done power cleans but my back felt crappy after squats.

Probably haven't been eating enough.

Last Night (after the shittiest day of work, after two dinners and a bunch of gatorade)

Press 120 x 5/5/5 Starting to get heavy.

RDL 85 x 5, 125 x 3, 175 x 3 Did these as a warm up to the deadlift hoping they would stretch me out and help me get my back set. Didn't work, probably won't do it again.

Deadlift 270 x 5 Not very hard, still worried about setting my back though

Chins BW x 12/9/8

Yesterday sucked.

Felt like crap, went to lift in the morning before work.

Bench 170 x 5/5/5 Could have got 6 on the last set, stopped at 5 for no apparent reason.

Squat Complete failure. Didn't even make it through warm ups without knees and back caving. Stopped before hurting myself.

Went to work. Came home, ate, threw up, sick all night. Ate a decent breakfast today, dont know if I will take it easy or try to get those squats in.

Evening (after an easy day at work, before dinner)

Walked around the block, stretched my legs out because I was really stiff.

Back down to 173 after being sick, was up to 179 prior, should gain that back very quickly.

Squat 220 x 5/5/5 Form was questionable. Got out on my toes on the last reps of each set, didnt keep my chest up enough

Press 122.5 x 4/3/3 I'm blaming this on being sick. I'll get it next time, no problem

Power Clean 85 x 3/3/3/3/3 A miracle happened. I widened my grip a little bit and all of the sudden I could power clean. These were very mediocre but still represent a 1000% improvement.
    95 x 1 light
    105 x 2 heavy-ish

starting strength coach development program
    A few days ago:

Bench 172.5 x 5/5/5

Deads 275 x 5 Still having trouble getting my back set

Chins 12/10/4/3 Apparently my dog doesn't like chin ups because he pulled me down off the bar on the third set. Felt like I was good for 8 or 9.

Today (mid-morning after breakfast and gatorade)

Press 122.5 x 5/5/5 No problemo

Squat 225 x 5/5/5 Getting better at setting my back but its still not good enough. Using a narrower stance has helped.

Power Cleans 90 x 5/5/5/5/5 Not as good today because I was tired.

I harvested a couple tons of pumpkins with my crew yesterday and packed them away today.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast