starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freddy's SS Log

Default Freddy's SS Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'll keep the introduction brief - I've been doing martial arts for about 10 years, and for the last 5 of those years I've been woefully attempting to not be skinny and weak. I farted around with some silly BB style programs - which, predictably, accomplished nothing - and eventually found my way to Rip's books.

I did the not-program for a while and fucked up my hip. Somewhere in the process of getting that healed up, I got myself some sort of digestive bug and lost 20 pounds in about 2 months. It eventually went away on its own, no thanks to my doctors. This was about 6 months ago, at which point I decided to not be lame and just lift the fucking weight - amazing how long it takes some people to figure that out, isn't it?

That wasn't as short as I thought it was going to be. Anyway, I've been doing the program for about 5 months, admittedly not eating enough (I still have an incredibly weak stomach), and I decided to start a log because lots of people have said it helps. I like help.

Weight: 135 (to start), 155 (now)
    Height: 5'11"

Starting Weights:
    Squat: 65lbs
    Bench: 55
    Deadlift: 95
    Press: 45
    Power Clean: 65

Current Weights:
    Squat: 217.5
    Bench: 155
    Deadlift: 300
    Press: 117.5
    Power Clean: No idea, haven't done them for a while.

My diet was shitty for the first few months, and I've corrected that. I'm eating about 4000-5000kcals every day, which includes my gallon of whole milk.

And now, we shall see.
    Last edited by Freddy; 10-02-2011 at 09:52 PM.

My squat's been shitty for a while now, been stuck at 225. I'm going to try it once more, and then maybe do a de-load. Shame, I was actually up around 250 for a while before I went on vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    My squat's been shitty for a while now, been stuck at 225. I'm going to try it once more, and then maybe do a de-load. Shame, I was actually up around 250 for a while before I went on vacation.
    First time my squat nearly stopped Progressing, I increased my rest between sets, second time decided f@(k fat percentage and increased my protein intake (plenty of milk), the third time I bought micro-plates (as long as I am gaining 5 lbs a week or more), and as a last resort I started using creatine (it works for me)...when I finally stall: then deload and eventually move on to intermediate programming.

Monday's workout:

Squat 225x4, 225x1, 225x1 - This is even worse than last week. I'm eating 5000kcals/day and getting good sleep, thanks to school not being in session yet. I think it's time to deload, and this time I'm going to do it right.

Press 110x5x3 - PR! (I reset these a few weeks ago at 107.5)

Chins BWx10x3 - Going to try these with a little weight next week. Maybe just 5lbs. I'm pretty sure the belt weighs more than that - maybe I'll just wear the belt?

My fiancee cooked chicken in a peanut curry sauce, time to go gorge myself.

Wednesday:

Front Squat - 140x5x3
    Bench - 140x5x3
    Power Clean 100x3x5

Benching as much as you front squat is silly. Granted, I'm only two weeks into the advanced novice program and I haven't been doing them that long. I may have switched a bit early, but I figure front squats can only help when I learn the olympic lifts - this will happen before too long. Power cleans were stupid easy, but the form is a little weird so I'll probably just keep adding 5 pounds. It's not a race, right?

Right?

Yargh!

Missed Friday's workout - the semester just started and I've been doing martial arts all weekend - got a really good bunch of new kids this year, I'm excited to work with them.

Here's Monday's workout, complete with a brand new squat (recorded myself, observed shitty lower back position, corrected the problem, backed way off in accordance with PPST2's model). I'm also going to start recording my warmups.

Squat
    45x5x2
    95x3
    135x2
    185x5

Press
    45x5
    65x3
    95x2
    112.5x5x3

Chins
    BWx10x3 - this was harder than it was last week, maybe I gained weight?

I other news, I may have a new job lined up teaching TKD to some high school kids - my first paid teaching job!

Switching to Thursday-Saturday-Monday plan due to school exercising its ability to screw with me.

Squat
    45x5x2
    95x3
    135x2
    180x1
    200x5

Bench Press
    45x5
    95x3
    130x1
    142.5x5x3

Rows
    65x5
    95x3
    115x2
    135x1
    150x5x3

Still felt like shit squatting, I'll give it another workout before it's back to normal volume. Benches felt pretty light, I shouldn't have any problems with those for a while. I don't usually do rows, but I decided to see how much I could lift just because I didn't feel like doing chins again. I hope I can make this lifting schedule work - if so, I'll be back on Saturday with a (hopefully) new deadlift PR.

This week:

I think my legs are back to normal - had to miss a workout because of grad-school-induced chaos, which totally screwed my squat backoff, but I think I'm good now.

Thursday:

Squat
    45x5x2
    95x3
    135x2
    170x1
    195x5 - Still felt awful, but I videotaped myself and noticed a fairly wretched back position, caused by dropping WAY too low - seems like lots of people had this problem, so I didn't bother posting the video.

Bench Press
    45x5
    95x3
    125x1
    145x5x3

Chins
    5x5x3 - First time with added weight, so I used...non-weight. Felt good though.

Saturday:

Squat
    45x5x2
    95x3
    135x2
    165x1
    195x5x3 - Felt pretty good

Press
    45x5
    65x3
    95x1
    115x5x3

Deadlift
    135x5
    225x3
    250x1
    285x5

Monday:

Squat
    45x5x2
    95x3
    135x2
    170x1
    200x5x3 - Actually felt fantastic, apparently we're back on track. I think this was the most poorly handled backoff period in history, but hopefully I won't make the same mistakes again. Ever. Someone swat me if I do.

Bench Press
    45x5
    95x3
    130x1
    147.5x5x3

Pull Ups
    BWx10x3 - Never actually managed 3 sets of 10 before. I'll try them with baby weights next week.

Wow, I sort of forgot about this. I haven't been missing workouts, but school and work has me nice and bordering-on-a-psychotic-break, so I haven't done anything worth talking about. Still haven't in the grand scheme of things, but I had such an awesome workout tonight I have to brag about it. It's all relative, see.

Anyway, I'm getting a little sick, and I think I ate something a bit strange for dinner this evening, so I showed up at the gym feeling like utter crap. I warmed up and just felt worse and worse, and was seriously considering throwing in the towel. I decided to at least get in my squats if nothing else, and when that actually went okay I decided to finish up and in the process nailed two new PRs. Nailed 'em good. I'm still excited.

Here she be:

Squat
    45x5x2
    95x3
    135x2
    195x1
    217.5x5x3 - Missed my last rep last time, felt fine today.

Bench Press
    45x5
    95x3
    135x2
    155x5x3 - PR No. 1...

Deadlift
    135x5
    225x3
    275x1
    300x5 - PR No. 2, next stop 315!

starting strength coach development program
    A couple of other updates. I sprained/fractured/whateverthehell'd my wrist about 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to do cleans since. I'm going to try them again next week, the mobility is coming back. I didn't even bother getting it checked out - it's a wrist injury, they all heal just about the same way.

I also stopped drinking milk, because I think it was upsetting my stomach. I miss that extra shit ton of Calories, but I'm making up for it by drinking kefir. Apparently I'm not so lactarded that the yogurt thing doesn't work, so I'm going to see what happens as I work up to lots of it per day. I just wish it wasn't so damned expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast