starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this amount of deadlift lower back rounding OK?

Default Is this amount of deadlift lower back rounding OK?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    [/QUOTE]

It looks like my lower back is rounding very slightly on the 4th and 5th reps. I don't have the 'arch' that I see other people with. Also during the lift it feels like my lower back is the weakest point and I have to struggle to keep it from rounding. Is the amount of rounding shown in the video OK? Or should I go down in weight?

Is 255lbs about the time I should invest in a belt?

While I'm no coach, I can't see you setting your lower back at all before any of the reps. Are you consciously setting it in proper extension before you pull? Thinking something along the lines of "chest up, butt down" and making it happen by squeezing upwards and setting your back?

I don't see much rounding at all. I think your form looks pretty good, but you are lifting the bar very slowly. Try to really pull it off the ground as fast as you can. As the weight gets heavier, eventually the bar will move slowly, but if this weight isn't near a 5RM, pull it as fast as you can. This speed will help when the weight does get heavy.

I would invest in a good belt too. It will help you lift more weight and maybe give you the confidence to pull faster. I think I pull faster with a belt, since everything feels tighter. It could be psychological... but hey, whatever works! :-)

I'm not trying to be a dick, but what's with the wrist straps?

Are you guys sure about trying to pull really fast? I recall in the DVD one of the guys pulling and Mark saying "Don't jerk the weight, squeeze it. You'll jerk yourself out of position with a heavier weight."

@ambivalens: I think I'm consciously making sure it's set somewhat, but maybe I need to arch it more from the start.

@williamlexcrawford: At about 240lbs I noticed that without straps the pain on the skin on my hands was almost unbearable, even with a mixed grip. I still do warmups without straps so maybe my hands will eventually get calloused enough so it doesn't hurt so badly.

@callador: interesting -- people always tell me that I'm lifting too slow on all my lifts. I think I've been assuming that the faster I lift the less time I have to monitor my technique, and the more likely I'll be to hurt myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    Are you guys sure about trying to pull really fast? I recall in the DVD one of the guys pulling and Mark saying "Don't jerk the weight, squeeze it. You'll jerk yourself out of position with a heavier weight."
    I think this is good advice once you have the movement pattern nailed down. I'm pretty sure Mark's comment in the DVD has to do with the fact that if you tell someone who's just learning the lift to pull fast, they will very likely lose their tightness and make a big mess.

Squeeze it of the floor, then pull it as fast as you can.

Your back is fine. However it seems that you are not fully finishing each rep at the top. Lockout the hips and knees firmly!

In regards to a belt. Not really. 255 is pretty light, its hard to use the "perfect" non-roundbacked technique with a belt. Introducing a blet at this stage might inforce sloppy habits.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jgh View Post
    I think this is good advice once you have the movement pattern nailed down. I'm pretty sure Mark's comment in the DVD has to do with the fact that if you tell someone who's just learning the lift to pull fast, they will very likely lose their tightness and make a big mess.
    Exactly. You don't want to be sloppy, but you want to pull the weight as fast as you can. This will allow you to lift more weight. I went from a 465 max to over 500 (weight still moved fast) in about a month, just changing up the way I DL.

I like using a belt too, it makes everything feel tighter, so I am more inclined to pull really fast. I even use the belt for me DE stuff (this week at 325). For lighter volume lifting I will not use the belt, but if it is allowed in competition... why not use it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast