starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BW One handed barbell snatch

Default BW One handed barbell snatch

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know not a practical lift or log for the sake of competition but everytime i meet my goals I like to make new ones for the sake of doing it like nike and this seemed like something I can accomplish by new years. I was able to do 85lbs today with some struggle so ill try to start with 65 3x8 every other day before my regular conditioning type workout and increase at least 6 pounds each week ( ill shoot somewhere between 5 and 7 pounds each week depending on my motivation level) which would be about 173 by new years. I currently weigh 164 so as long as I get there and dont gain too much this should go well.
    Last edited by Rusty9; 08-21-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: bad grammar, hard to read.

That sounds like a good goal. Nothing wrong with having fun with the barbell in ways other than the main lifts. Good luck - I hope you get to your goal by new years.

If anyone was wondering what ever happened with my last log with the plyometrics and weight loss, I dropped the plyos as they were really bothering my knees and it would have been pretty difficult to track the random exercises I was doing throughout the day which mostly consisted of pullups, pushups, and jumping rope until I broke a sweat several times a day. I lost 12 pounds cutting the gomad and doing this over the course of 5 weeks or so.

I have decided that I will only do 6 sets per arm rather than 8 as 16 sets will take a little longer to complete than I would like to spend doing this. I will be doing them as power snatches initially but will be attempting to transition into full snatches which will increase the time Im going to have to hold the weight overhead.

TODAY:

one armed snatches:
    65x3x6 both arms

power cleans:
    135x3x5

Im excited about having a "novelty" lift of sorts in my skill set.
    Ill probably go for a jog tonight with the dogs if I do it will be between 2 and 3 miles depending on how well the dogs cope, they are a little fat right now and Ive been slacking on exercising them.

jog never happened. I slacked on this Ill do it tomorrow for sure. I was feeling like crap today from drinking too much last night.
    Last edited by Rusty9; 08-21-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: jog didnt happen

Screwed around today. this is roughly what happened in the 45 minutes at the gym.
    jog: 5 minutes @ 7mph
    barbell bench: 135x1x15
    back extensions: bw+25 on chestx20, just bwx20
    dumb bell bench: 55x1x8
    hamstring curl: 60x2x15
    pullups: bwx10
    skull crusher w/ ez curl bar: 60x1x8
    bb bench: 135x1x10
    back extensions: bwx20
    eliptical: 6 minutes at a pace almost fast enough to cause vomiting
    jog:5 minutes @ 6mph

the only thing that felt strained really was my lungs and heart as I made sure not to get close to failure on anything, the first set of back extensions was about as close as I got. Im pretty sure this doesnt fall under the category of training moer like general exercise as I had no goal in mind except to break a sweat and get my lungs going.

as stated yesterday will be taking the dogs for a jog this evening for sure.

I dont track it but I shadow box for a minimum of 20 minutes every day.

You might want to consider some solid wrist wraps. Losing the bar to one side with that much weight would be bad. Up to about 75% of BW you should be able to move out of the way quickly and still redirect the bar. But body weight or anything close to it will pose a seriously difficult obstacle to avoid even if you're acclimated to the weight.

good lookin out. Ill check into some wrist wraps and how to use them properly. When people talk about wrist wraps is it like the ones used for boxing. I have a few sets of those. And if it is, would i use them the same maybe focusing more on wrapping the wrist and forearem and less the back of the hand?
    Last edited by Rusty9; 08-22-2011 at 02:08 PM.

No, lifting wraps are a bit different. You'll probably want the heaviest kind versus the ones that are more like Ace bandages. They act almost like a cast and keep the wrist immobilized and can even boost grip if done certain ways. I wrap mine once around the wrist and then one and a half time up higher on the hand. The end result is about an inch of the actual back of the hand being covered and the entire wrist up to the base of the thumb. My boxing wraps are an excellent Hayabusa model and they provide good support for punching, but my lifting wraps are another animal entirely. There is no wrist movement with them and even getting set for benching takes some focus. Very secure. A dynamic move like barbell snatches would force flexing of the material but at the end of the ROM you would feel a catch and hold. Your biggest concern would be lateral movement and a high, firm wrap would stop that or give you enough leverage to escape a crashing bar.

Coo,l Ill look into them and get me a pair before the weight gets too heavy and I break or otherwise seriously damage one of my wrists. My forearms are pretty sore today so I can definately see how wrist strength is going to be the limiting factor. I like the feeling of being sore it doesnt happen real often but it sure does feel good.

Today was fun. I received my adjustable kettlebell in the mail today so I used it after my training for some farmers walks and swings. I am happy about its construction I was a little concerned cause some of the reviews for similar products werenot so great. Now on to my log before I sound like Im plugging a product here.

One armed snatches:
    65x3x6 bith arms

Farmers walks:
    45x60ftx5 both arms
    KB swings:
    45x30x1
    Went for jog about 2 miles.
    Last edited by Rusty9; 08-29-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: went for jog

starting strength coach development program
    One armed snatches:
    70x3x6 both arms

Farmers Walks(single arm at a time)
    55x60ftx5
    KB swings:
    45x30x1
    Going for jog again tonight with dogs, will be about 2 miles again. This is probably my favorite thing exercise wise, its probably just because its more like light activity rather than challenging training.

Notes about todays session: I am throwing my right leg out laterally. I need to stop it before I hurt myself, focus dammit. I focused getting a little lower in the hips while maintaining extension in my starting position and keeping the bar tight to my body- helped a ton a couple the first couple of times I tried catching the bar much lower than I should have due to the extra heighth I was getting on the bar. It was cool seeing a better way to do it but not cool the first time with the bar almost crashing on me as it tried to fly out of my fingers.

Jog may not happen the weather is turning for the worse.
    Last edited by Rusty9; 08-29-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: notes about how things went

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast