starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fatty.

Default Fatty.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Mark,

I'm a fatty, 5'11, 260. ~40%bf. Should I trim down to about 30%bf before going on the program? I'd like to compete but after reading multiple journals of people doing SS when starting at a high percent of BF it seems that their fat loss stalls because of the need to put on muscle and eat 4k cal a day.

If I do start would you recommend doing any other cardio like prowler pushes/hill sprints that could aid in fat loss?

Fat loss would be my immediate goal with strength training coming in right behind it.

What is your current diet?

I am very interested in this topic as well. I am 37,6', 223lbs
    Sq=235x5x3
    Bench=170x5x3
    DL=265x5x1
    Press=122.5x5x3
    PC=110x3x5

When I started (about 6 weeks ago) I went balls out on the food shooting for 3500-4500kcal per day.
    Quickly gained weight, which is fine; but also had to let my belt out, and some of my pants and shirts became uncomfortable.
    I have since re-read "A Clarification" and re- examined my diet. Currently (as of two days ago), I am eating what I would describe as a Taubes-ish diet. My primary goal is to get to 1g per body weight in protien and <100 grams of carbs per day. This so far works out to about 40-45% protien, 40-45% fat, and <=20% carbs per day and ~3200kcal.
    On lifting days I try to concentrate the carbs to before and after lifting (half gallon of milk is round 88 grams carbs so I split it up to before and after). I have a feeling that diet for someone like me, and perhaps someone like you , zulander, is something that will require a lot of attention for a while with tweaks every now and then as needed to maintain progress. Also I work a desk job so my daily needs are probably less than most people. I will re-evaluate and let you know if I have success using this diet. Although, I feel that the issue of diet is HIGHLY Individual.

6'-220lbs would probably be a little light, if I was strong!

Mark, on one of the round table videos it was suggested that a good body weight for a lifter is 3-4 lbs per inch. 3 being min, 4 being on the competitive side. Do you agree with this?

Quote Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    Hey Mark,

I'm a fatty, 5'11, 260. ~40%bf. Should I trim down to about 30%bf before going on the program? I'd like to compete but after reading multiple journals of people doing SS when starting at a high percent of BF it seems that their fat loss stalls because of the need to put on muscle and eat 4k cal a day.

If I do start would you recommend doing any other cardio like prowler pushes/hill sprints that could aid in fat loss?

Fat loss would be my immediate goal with strength training coming in right behind it.
    Dance offs are great for fat loss. Just make sure they don't play "Relax", or you'll end up killing the prime minister of Malaysia.

I guess the OP is too busy opening his "Zulander school for boys who can't count caloralies too good" too respond.

Fat people seldom have the discipline to change their body composition, or they wouldn't be fat already. Those that do are to be respected. I didn't expect him to respond.

With a large percentage of body fat you can go quite awhile as a novice not eating like you are lifting and still lift.

Only thing that should stop you from lifting because of body fat is if you are physically incapable of performing the lift.

I started out 6'4" 305lbs, probably around 35-40% body fat. I had no issues lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    Hey Mark,

Why 30% bf and what makes you think you need 4k calories? I suppose you could get away with fat loss and muscle gain because of the novice effect, but as you near the later stages of the program, you wouldn't be able to keep them up. If you want to do this, you should look up an adequate weight loss plan and mobility work since fatter individuals often have issues with squat depth and what now.

Uggh, I did my post and then hit the wrong button, wiping everything out. Maybe a omen, but I'm gonna re-post anyways!

I am suprised of your comment Mr. Rippetoe although I shouldn't be since you are known for your directness, haha. It's not always lack of discipline that has put or keeps some of us in our fatness that we are today. It's difficult working night shift while having to watch the newborns after and still wanting to stay up to have some QT with the wife in the evenings. It leads to, on average, less than 4 hours of broken sleep a night and a serious case of exhaustion 99.9% of the time. Top that off with a military injury that leaves the ankle prone to putting me directly on my ass or face after any vigorous activity, which was running for me at the time, and things just get a little difficult to find time to keep that weight off. What was most frustrating was my days off when I did go to bed early to get some good hours in and I would usually wake up three hours later, wide awake and not be able to get back to sleep.

Anyways, my apologies for the novel above. The main thing is, a lot of us fatties are just dealing with the cards given to us.

Oh, and just so you know. I am very thankful that I found your book a few months ago as it is your program that has began my movement back into non-fattness. In fact! I have already tightened my belt TWO whole belt holes. Thank you for that!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Fat people seldom have the discipline to change their body composition, or they wouldn't be fat already.
    My girlfriend thinks you're insensitive. (she's not fat)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast