starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean's TM Log

Default Sean's TM Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First post here, been lurking sparingly for some time (mostly to see how people run and do on TM), finally decided to post. I've been keeping a log on another site for some time, but I think my training style and methods are way more in tune with what you all do, and so, getting advice and help will be much easier and better here.

'Vital' stats
    Sean
    5'8"
    217 lbs (I'm guessing in the 16-20% BF range)
    23 years old

Best lifts
    Squat: 365x5
    Deadlift: 200kgx2
    Bench: 265x3
    Press: 167.2x5
    Power cleans: 225x2 (though I have no intention of using these for some time)

Training history
    I've been 'lifting' for almost 2 years now, training for a little over a year. My first serious program was Madcow 5x5, as a completely unjustified intermediate. I made progress, just slower than I would on SS, obviously. Got decently strong on that, improved my form along the way. Ran into a wall with it on all exercises, so decided to try Texas Method. I did one run of it, and got decent strength and mass gains, but there were definitely some flaws in my programming that caught up with me. I decided to do dynamic effort on Intensity Day, didn't gain a whole lot, but it was interesting to think about lifting in a different way. I bought Justin Lascek's book on TM, and I intend to study it and follow it as best as I can, and using my own judgement of course.

Program

Volume Day
    Squats 5x5
    Bench/press 5x5
    RDLs 3x5
    Chinups 3x5

Recovery Day
    Squat 2x5 @75% of VD
    Press medium/bench light for 3x5
    Curls 3x10

Intensity Day
    Squat
    Bench/press
    Deadlift
    Dips 3x5

Just some "truths" I've found out from my experience with TM:
    1) There is not a lot of productive stuff you can do after squatting 5x5, and bench/press 5x5. Deadlifting is typically put on volume day (at least what I've seen from Rip), but it simply does not work for me. It is best to put in some quality assistance work (RDLs and chinups)

2) I'm not strong enough to warrant dynamic effort yet. I need to handle 'heavy-ass weight', and not just on volume day, which isn't really all that heavy. I enjoy it though, and I intend to use it on deload weeks.

3) I'm young, I'm fully capable of handling a program like this. I beat myself up pretty bad in my first run, and I think it was partly from not systematically increasing the weight on intensity day (I would somewhat randomly switch between 5s, 3s and singles). My recovery kinda sucked (I didn't foam roll or stretch at all). My recovery DAY sucked, it got entirely too extensive. I was stubborn about deloading. I hope I've fixed these things.

Anyway, I'm really excited, I think a great period of training is coming. I've really gotten comfortable with my form on everything, feel confident. so it's time to get to work.
    Last edited by scarbo; 08-27-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Just the past week of training to get me started here:

Week 1: Volume

08/16/11

BW: 214.3

Squats (5-6 minute rest)
    Warmup
    315x5x5

This was really good. I've been waiting for this.

Press (should be a bench week, but no spotters, so...press it is) (4-5 minute rest)
    Warmup
    145x5x5

I hadn't volume pressed in almost a month, so decided to scale it back a tiny bit. Last rep, last set was a grind, I think I can get 150 in two weeks.

RDLs
    45x5
    95x5
    135x5
    185x5x3

Definitely could do more, good first session with it. Form needs a little bit of work, but it's certainly not bad.

Chinups
    BWx3 (warmup)
    BW+25x5x3

Last rep was kinda hard. Was expecting this to be easy, but I haven't done chins in about 3 weeks so...I suppose this isn't bad.

Week 1: Recovery

08/18/11

BW: 214.6

Squats
    Warmup
    265x5x2

Bench
    Warmup
    185x5x2

Curls
    50x10x3

I'm not even close a good weight yet. I literally got bored and lost count of the reps.

Week 1: Intensity

08/21/11 (didn't get in yesterday, so today is a day late, should be okay back to Volume on Tuesday)

BW: 215.0

Squats
    Warmup
    355x5

I failed the fifth rep three weeks ago, nailed it this week. Feels good. Logically, 350 should have been done today, but psychologically, I wanted 355x5 bad. Onto 360x5 next week, increase the Volume/Intensity discrepancy.

Press
    Warmup
    165x5

Yeah buddy.

Deads (in kgs) (with mixed grip, barefoot)
    Warmup
    180x3

Not bad, coulda cranked out two or three more probably, but I want to progress on 3s for now.

Dips
    BWx5
    BW+30x5x3

Week 2: Volume

08/23/11

BW: 217.0 (+2.7 on last Tuesday)

Squats (5-6 minute rest)
    Warmup
    315x5x5

Solid, would rate this as 'medium', according to Justin's book.

Bench(4-5 minute rest)
    Warmup
    225x5x5

I hadn't volume benched in almost a month, so decided to scale it back 5lbs. Was somewhere between easy and medium, I probably had 2 or 3 reps left on the last set.

RDLs (in kgs) (I do these barefoot)
    20x5
    40x5
    60x5
    70x5
    90x5x3

Feeling better about form, these were fairly easy. The real battle was keeping my form (even warming up), it's getting there.

Chinups
    BWx3 (warmup)
    BW+30x5x3

The last rep, last set was reallll close to not high enough, I'll count it though. I didn't really consider my weight gain in the last week, so this was essentially 8 more lbs than last week. Depending on where my weight is next week, I may just stay at +30.

Week 2: Recovery

08/25/11

BW: 219.0 (+4.4...I probably need to slow down a little bit)

Squats
    Warmup
    265x5x2

Press
    Warmup
    135x5x2

Curls
    55x10x3

Actually felt like I was doing something today on curls.

Quick injury note: I sprained or strained my ankle two and a half weeks ago. Healed really fast (I like to think it's from being well trained and drinking a lot of milk, but who knows), still some pain in certain positions, but not at all when squatting, deadlifting, etc... The only thing I'm not comfortable with is ankle extension close to the end of ROM (so cleans, snatches and jumping are out for a bit).

Definitely excited for intensity day: Squat 360x5, Bench 250 or 255x5, DL 182.5kgx3, rar.

Week 2: Intensity

08/28/11

BW: 216.2 (+1.2)

Squats
    Warmup
    360x4

3rd rep kinda sucked, I changed where my eyes were (too low), and the bar came too far forward, not a terrible rep though. Overthought the 5th rep, didn't feel my upper back tight enough, so I racked it. I think having heavy squatted just 6 days ago may have had an effect, I'll see how I feel with a full week's rest next Saturday.

Bench
    Warmup
    250x5

Solid reps, definitely 255x5 next time.

Deads (in kgs) (with mixed grip, barefoot)
    Warmup
    182.5x3

Felt like my form was good, coulda added more reps, but I'll stick with 3s for now.

Dips
    BWx5
    BW+35x5x3

Still easy so...

Lying triceps extension
    Warmup
    75x8x3

Last rep, last set was tough.
    Last edited by scarbo; 08-27-2011 at 10:49 AM.

I think having a short 'reflection' on here will be good for me, put down in words what I'm thinking about the programming. Otherwise, I'll probably forget, and maybe not make as wise of decisions when the times come.

Squats
    I will increase the volume day weight to 320. I'm not completely unaffected by 315x5x5, but the soreness is minimal. I will try 360x5 again next Intensity day. If I keep my form solid, I'm totally capable of it anyway. Having a 40 lb V/I discrepancy is good for now, especially since I'm working 5s on ID. I don't think it's time for 3s yet.

Bench
    I will increase the VD weight to 230. There was little to no soreness from 225x5x5, and there was never any doubt of getting the reps in. Next ID will be 255x5. I need to increase the V/I discrepancy here, but no point in using a VD weight that does little to nothing.

Deads
    Just keep on going up 2.5kg/week. 3s are working.

Press
    I will increase VD to 147.5. I will increase ID to 167.5x5.

Week 3: Volume

08/30/11

BW: 217.5 (+0.5 on last Tuesday)

Squats (6-7 minute rest)
    Warmup
    320x5x5

Good sets, probably between medium and hard. Hopefully this drives me to 360x5.

Press(4-5 minute rest)
    Warmup
    147.2x5x5

Medium-hard, this will probably work for a while to drive ID.

RDLs (in kgs)
    Warmup
    95x5x3

Chinups
    BWx3 (warmup)
    BW+30x5x3

I'll stay here one more week. The last rep wasn't as good as I would like it.

and I survive another Volume Day.
    Last edited by scarbo; 08-30-2011 at 08:47 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Here's your problem: By moving deads off volume day, you interfere with your recovery for intensity day (and the following volume day as well).

If I were your coach, we'd back up your volume day weights on squat and pressing movements until you could sustain a decent session, and go up from there. If you are finding deads too hard to do on volume day, it's because you either need to harden up, or you chose too heavy a weight for your squats. This can be seen in your first intensity day failure, which was too much weight for your first week. Should have been 325-330, to allow you a couple of weeks to adapt to the added volume.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast